• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water WooHoo - Water restrictions get eased to "high level"

CAR-WASHING and garden hosing will be permitted from midnight tonight under an easing of water restrictions announced by the Queensland Water Commission.

Brisbane residents' daily consumption target will be lifted from 140 to 170 litres a person.

Limited car washing and garden hosing will be allowed from this weekend.

The relaxation from what was known as level six water restrictions to the new "high level" water restrictions was officially gazetted yesterday.

Heavy rain last week pushed the combined capacity of the region's three dams, Wivenhoe, Somerset and North Pine, to just over 40 per cent - the trigger needed to relax level six water restrictions.

Under the relaxed restrictions, residents will be able to bucket-water gardens on any day between 4pm and 8am and use a bucket to clean at anytime.

Between 4pm and 4.30pm on weekends, residents will be able to wash their cars, clean external surfaces and water gardens and plants using a handheld hose

Water commission chief executive John Bradley will hold a media conference in Brisbane at 11am today to explain the changes.

:cheers:

good news for you guys and iam sure a real relief to many with gardens such as yourself..we moan in the u.k about the poor summer where having,but forget how bad water restrictions affect everything around us..how long you had restrictions in your area bent?

I'm so used to the water restrictions now ive adapted to the draconian requirements as best as I could.
I've got all my favourite plants on water saving systems like the wetpots system and the auto pot but its certainly a plus, will get my crazy neighbours off my back....they all think I'm growing pot inth e greenhouses... how sad its chillies strawberries carnivorous plants and snails....lol
that would probably weird them out more..... lol

Good news Bent, relaxing of water restrictions is a big help. I count myself lucky that we have had a lot more rain than last year so that should help the water table. Water is a precious commodity.

Jackie

If you wanted to, could you put the..."Between 4pm and 4.30pm on weekends, residents will be able to wash their cars, clean external surfaces and water gardens and plants using a handheld hose"...in a container for use at a later time/date?

i am glad you are getting some rain, we have had alot of rain this year more than normal i hope that does not mean a snowy winter WOW we would be in trouble ....

Here's a good water calculator for estimating your annual water use:
http://www.newwater.com.au/water_calculator.asp

From filling it in, it's telling me that my 22,000L (5000 imp.GAL) tank will get me thru 20 days w/out significant rain. If only we could get significant rain every 20 days...

Talas, I think restrictions on water use have been in place in Brisbane for at least 4 years, and quite severe ones for about 2 yrs.

yeah last time I watered the plants would have been early December with a bucket - for the most part they adapted. Of course it meant not putting them in full sun. Can't remember using a hose...would have been before I bought the house.....don't know if I still have a hose :D

congrats on the rain for ya folks.

ditto, fill up some barrels & store the water for later use for your garden, forget about watering the lawn its nothing more than some worthless grass & only for looks, your garden is more important! ;)

pepperfever said:
Water is a precious commodity.

I dont know if this quote is meant towards just the aussies or also meaning about you. but if you, what part of the state are you in for water to be considered "precious" ?

its not just people with gardens & car washing - businesses are using huge amounts in cleaning & air cons etc. and that doesn't count the farmers growing the wrong crops in the wrong areas who need to pour water on them all day. mill $ fines here for biz that dont cut back on water use.
It is becoming a world wide problem with increased population.

bentalphanerd said:
its not just people with gardens & car washing - businesses are using huge amounts in cleaning & air cons etc. and that doesn't count the farmers growing the wrong crops in the wrong areas who need to pour water on them all day. mill $ fines here for biz that dont cut back on water use.
It is becoming a world wide problem with increased population.

dont know if this is directed towards me but, my post before yours was towards pepperfever.
I understand the population thing since only about 10% (I dont know the number but its low) is drinkable on earth unless the ocean waters are filtered for drinking.
I asked pepperfever that question because IMO its not really considered "precious" here, I could go anywhere & fill up barrels full of water & the only thing someone would say is "whats that goofball doing filling up barrels full of water"
I'd have to say I couldnt travel 15 min (or less) w/o coming across some form of water source here.

yeah you're in a good spot there CH. I was reading last week about Vegas I think...looks like they're staring down the barrel too. Wasn't so long ago here we were gearing up to truck in water for the whole city. Of course we're only at 40% now, so not out of the woods yet, just a reprieve.

Sorry Chilehunter, I know in MN we have more water available for our use than some areas. I didn't mean anything bad, just that no one needs a shortage of water no matter where they live. I also don't water grass, only garden and flowers.

Jackie

Lack of water is scary.Where I live between mountains it runs down to my property per say.The hills are so dry anything could start a fire that would go nutz.Everyone on this road are on wells and lack of rain isn`t good.You learn to conserve real quick.

Back