• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking 8 hours to go!

Trying a pork butt 7.5 pounds going for about 195 internal smoking at 250-280 range Injected with Apple juice lots of rub and mustard on the outside. will probably wrap it at 5 hours going to baste every 2 hours. Hope this one turns out my 1st attempt was not so good wouldn't pull easy think I cooked it to low. 

1_zpsn53gs6br.jpg

Looks like it will be a good one!

Nothing wrong with cooking at those higher temps just watch for the plateau, the temp will jack up even faster after it at those cooking temps. Once all the fats have melted the temp shoots up and meat itself cooks so watch for that rise and yank it at 195 or it will dry out. :)

I see a rack for the meat, over clean grates, with a drip pan, and a mounted probe ... for injected meat.

I'm thinking he's got this 'thang, no problem!

It looks like a gas grill. Is it?

The Hot Pepper said:
Ah! Nice replacement CI grates! Water pan in main chamber and nice grates fooled me.

Actually when the grates get rusty every now and then I will soak the overnight in vinegar and all the rust just comes off then I re-season them in the oven. 

That's quality. My Chinese ones flaked off rust in iron chips and I can't even use them this season.

Gargoyle91 said:

Nope i'm still in the Stone age :)

8_zps4f30cbfc.jpg

that isn't the stone age, that is quality Q....  It makes me miss my offset a bit though... Glad to see I am not the only one to use aluminium foil gap stop around the fire box..  :P

Did I see a plate mod in the main chamber under the grates??    Kind of hard to tell with the water pan

Ashen said:

that isn't the stone age, that is quality Q....  It makes me miss my offset a bit though... Glad to see I am not the only one to use aluminium foil gap stop around the fire box..  :P

Did I see a plate mod in the main chamber under the grates??    Kind of hard to tell with the water pan

That's just a cooling rack makes it easier to handle the meat, The only mod I've done is I extended the chimney to about a inch off the grates. 

Did you buy it used or replace the grates at one time? Most CharBroils I've seen come with the round bar chrome or enameled, except gas. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Did you buy it used or replace the grates at one time? Most CharBroils I've seen come with the round bar chrome or enameled, except gas. 

No that's the grates it came with bought it new probably 5 years old or older. I went to replace them once and they were like $25 bucks a grate Did some research and found out vinegar eats away at rust so once a year I soak and clean them if they get rusty. That's when I was Grilling ever since I have been smoking seems like enough fat soaks into them that it protects them through the winter.

Gargoyle91 said:

Why you got to show a Clean smoker lol  

LOL! It's an optical illusion... mine's about as rusty as yours. I sprayed it down with canola oil while I'm cooking to kind of "season" it, like cast iron. The glare is hiding the rust in the pic.

Back