• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Memorial Day (Two-Week) User-land BBQ Contest

There are no rules. It's a casual contest with a big prizes, and the winners will be determined by user polling over next weekend.

The prize box I'm providing will have items from:

Joyner's Hot Peppers
Texas Creek
Lucky Dog Hot Sauces
Dee Roo (SmokenFire)
Scotty O'Hotty
Pex Peppers
Walkerswood
Teeny Tiny Spice Co.
Meat Church
Defcon
Mild Bill's
Johnson Berry Farms
Zatarain's
Season With Spice

... so far.

I haven't poked around my Asian shelves, or the Cambro's of Modernist powders yet - but I'll be including stuff from there as well, if possible.

A prize box from JHP will be provided by Joyner's Hot Pepper Powders, thanks Chris.

A prize box from Texas Creek is forthcoming, TBD once we figure out how the voting will be organized. This prize can be donated to AnySoldier.

Just worked out a prize box from Lucky Dog Hot Sauce with Scott that will include the new Chipotle, a Dia Del Perro, and the Black label sauce (CONUS) (tctenten has sponsored this being available to an expat member if it ends up as such).

And also, a prize box from Pex Peppers that will include a pair of his sauces (CONUS).

* If you are a producer/vendor, or just looking to sponsor a prize box out of sheer benevolence, shoot me a PM and we'll get it in there ...

The more prizes the better, certainly.

swineapple entry would rock ...

Phil said:
Hmmm... not vague enough for my liking. You know, I've heard you were a dick.... lol

Haha, LOL ...

I just saw that ...

He's got the wrong guy ...

I'm nothing if not independently asshole-like ...

I have a lot of product from members right now, and I'm thinking it might be fun to put forth a box myself for the winner. There will be hot sauce, pepper jelly, and a bunch of other stuff from our pantry room. It's going to worth taking a crack at, I promise.

I think we'll extend the deadline into the week, for people who have work, family, or short-notice conflicts.

Contest will run from sometime today (Friday), until a week later, with two days of voting the weekend after this, and will end on the first of June.

You want this box.

To be clear is it meat and booze in the dish, or is it meat and booze in the picture?  Enquiring tipsy minds want to know.  I have a recipe coming to mind already, but hints from the judge appreciated.  

Have you learnt nothing from THP?

Insert regional disclaimer now, or else be prepared for the Aussie contingent to steal the box and the win! 

You win, I'll ship.

I'm covering for a guy on vacation this weekend and get 40hrs OT and holiday pay... I wont be around :(

I work overnight making shit happen week in, week out. it's a whole week long, and there are national holiday days included - as far as inclusivity, this has it in spades!

Bumper said:
To be clear is it meat and booze in the dish, or is it meat and booze in the picture?  Enquiring tipsy minds want to know.  I have a recipe coming to mind already, but hints from the judge appreciated.  
We'll iron out the theme today, but I've got stuff pulled from Johnson Berry Farms, Joyner's, Texas Creek, Lucky Dog, Scotty O'Hotty, Pex Peppers, Walkerswood, Teeny Tiny Spice Co, Meat Church, Defcon, Mild Bill's, and Season With Spice ... so far.

I'm pulling out my Modernist powders later to pull from too.

I want most of next Friday included, so we'll get it started after dinner time CST, tonight.

I have to decide if I can live without trying one of the bottles of SmokenFire's sauce, still ... LOL.

tctenten said:
Rules?  Guidelines yet?  I have to waste 2 more hours at work, want to try and plan.

There's no rules, or guidelines. It's BBQ-themed, but if you have to make BBQ in your oven w/ Liquid Smoke, by all means still do it.

It's going to be a poll, so the winner will be voted by their peers.

Booze encouraged, but not required (some members are not drinkers, are clergy or whatever etc) ...

It ends w/ a poll over next weekend, and the box goes to whomever has the most votes, for whatever reason the people choose to use.

grantmichaels said:
You win, I'll ship.

I work overnight making shit happen week in, week out. it's a whole week long, and there are national holiday days included - as far as inclusivity, this has it in spades!
I have no delusions of winning, but as you know here in Aus we have a secret BBQ weapon called a Booma....

Most won't find it hard to believe that I never liked history, and pretty much only cared about math and science ...

Factor in that I pretty much can't read, and well, history's always been a bit of a bitch for me ...

I resisted applying much military content to the contest - because I'm pretty unfamiliar w/ military life, and customs as well ...

I've been talking w/ Bumper and he's got some ideas about a theme that would better root the contest w/ Memorial Day ...

So hopefully we can get a better Memorial Day theme going ... which I think is probably an important consideration ...

On my end it's mostly just a pay it forward gesture, a chance to share ... lots of members have been generous w/ me in terms of seeds, products, and especially time/advice/instruction ...

FullSizeRender.jpg

just some stuff.

Back