• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Berry pickin'

I was just gonna post pics of this in my glog. But in case any of you folks pick berries, I figured I'd start a spot where everybody can post.
     This is turning into an epic year for mulberries and the black berries look like they're going to be loaded too, so I wanted to get some documentation of how much I get away with stealing from Warren Buffett this season.

The spot I pick is right along the right of way for the BNSF transcon near my house. This is a common site - I saw four trains in the hour I was out.
IMG_0358_zpsph7zldpm.jpg

Just LOADED, I tell ya!
IMG_0359_zpso3tiyyyr.jpg

This is the tree I always pick first. Big berries means fast, easy picking.
IMG_0365_zpsneqt5wxq.jpg

Just practicing macro shots with a crappy camera.
IMG_0368_zpsprqjbq0q.jpg

I fell in love with this little gal. She's only about five years old, but she's real mature for her age. Seriously though, I've never seen a mulberry with such perfect excurrent habit. Really productive, too. This tree had like a dozen berries on it all last season. I picked about a quart and half of just ripe ones from it today. It looks like it might produce a gallon or two this year! 
IMG_0369_zpsgfvpnggp.jpg

Side branch of this ^ little cutie.
IMG_0370_zpsw1vsx4ui.jpg

This is what I ended up with after about an hour of picking (after I gave my neighbor a quart). The container on the left had been heaping. I had to give up because I filled up. Great day!
IMG_0371_zpsnd0upsht.jpg

I let them soak for an hour or so then rinse them off and pick over them in batches in a colander. After letting them drain for a bit, I spread them out in a 2-3 berry deep layer on cookie sheets and freeze them. That way they stay intact and are easy to measure later.
IMG_0373_zpsvz33xdln.jpg

Anybody else pick? Let's see some shots of your spot and your bounty!

Dude you hit the Mother-load!!! I had a tree for twenty years in my backyard that was technically mine, but due to the large granite boulders I had to fence around it so my neighbors had control of it. They always took care of it and we both benefited from the berries for several years. Once they moved out, it was hell trying to keep the new home owners watering it. I tried through the fence the best I could but It finally died. I sure miss that old tree. 

Now I'm gonna have this stuck in my head next time I pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItdKOXH3qA

Good song for picking! It takes a little "body movin'" to get inside some of those trees without bumping into branches and knocking all the fruit down.

SL3 said:
Dude you hit the Mother-load!!! I had a tree for twenty years in my backyard that was technically mine, but due to the large granite boulders I had to fence around it so my neighbors had control of it. They always took care of it and we both benefited from the berries for several years. Once they moved out, it was hell trying to keep the new home owners watering it. I tried through the fence the best I could but It finally died. I sure miss that old tree. 

That's too bad it died. It must be pretty dry where you live. Around here, mulberries are weeds. About the only way you can kill them is by cutting them down to the ground and applying a really potent herbicide to the cambium. 
     If things continue the way they are and we don't get a bunch of high wind during the next few weeks, I could probably hook you up with some jam or pie filling if you still have a hankering for them. I know they're impossible to find in supermarkets.
     Speaking of which, if anybody in the UP is reading this, I'd be willing to trade for some wild thimbleberry jam!  :drooling:

someguy said:
Here are a couple of pics. I'm still waiting for some of them to ripen up. The last picture is of a white Mulberry tree. I have two of them , but they don't produce that many mulberries. They do have a unique taste.

Neat-o. I've never seen a white mulberry before. They ripen red, right? 

Sticky, purple high five!

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

Neat-o. I've never seen a white mulberry before. They ripen red, right? 

Sticky, purple high five!
They are kind of a milky white with just a hint of purple. I think originally these trees were used for silk worms to produce silk or something like that. I like the taste of regular mulberries over the white ones.

The weather was so nice yesterday my wife and I had to get out for a walk. We went down to the berry patch on the transcon to see how bud swell was progressing on the mulberry trees.
IMG_1665_zps5kpdnixw.jpg

Then I heard the unmistakable sound of 17,600 horsepower of ground-shaking General Electric power roaring toward us.
IMG_1670_zpsosmqrmjo.jpg

I grabbed the camera as my wife went into  :rolleyes: mode. 
IMG_1673_zpsa2bchlgo.jpg

She didn't have to wait long, though. High priority intermodal trains are usually going 60-70mph by the time the tail end leaves town!
IMG_1676_zpseg0nfrgp.jpg

Here marks the start of the 2016 berry pickin' season! :party:

Back