• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shade Climate Change, Shade Cloth, and variety

4 x 4 poles are in the ground.  By next spring, we will have a shade house finished.  In previous years, have not felt it was necessary but we here in KY have been getting hotter and hotter year after year.  I am curious to know if others have been considering such things. Especially wondering about variety.

With many other plants, variety is chosen in part with consideration for climate / location. Has anyone thought about selecting variety to grow based on their climate?

Kind of have to select varieties based on the climate up here.  I keep trying to coax some of the slower growing peppers (melons, tomatoes, etc, too) but if the season isn't perfect I have a very small yield.  I keep trying year after year to coax Rocotos and Manzanos to grow as I would at least like to taste them but so far I haven't had any luck.  Hopefully this is the year :)

Jalapenos, Serranos, Habaneros, Bhuts, and Scotch Bonnets all seem to put out enough fruit to justify growing them every year.  The baccatums have been a little less tolerant of the shorter season, so I have gotten pretty limited peppers off of those plants.  Tepin and Pequin are another 2 that I haven't been able to get fruit from successfully either up here.  I should just try and do a pepper swap come September with someone who can send me a whole box of stuff I can't grow.

Annums grow best here but I enjoy the challenge of growing others.  I've looked into shade cloth as the temps get over 100 degrees F in July and August here.  The annums tolerate the heat okay if they are crowded together a bit (mutual shading).  All of my chinense are in containers so I can move them under the sycamore for shade or bring them inside if it's too hot or if it snows, etc.

poypoyking said:
Kind of have to select varieties based on the climate up here.  I keep trying to coax some of the slower growing peppers (melons, tomatoes, etc, too) but if the season isn't perfect I have a very small yield.  I keep trying year after year to coax Rocotos and Manzanos to grow as I would at least like to taste them but so far I haven't had any luck.  Hopefully this is the year :)

Jalapenos, Serranos, Habaneros, Bhuts, and Scotch Bonnets all seem to put out enough fruit to justify growing them every year.  The baccatums have been a little less tolerant of the shorter season, so I have gotten pretty limited peppers off of those plants.  Tepin and Pequin are another 2 that I haven't been able to get fruit from successfully either up here.  I should just try and do a pepper swap come September with someone who can send me a whole box of stuff I can't grow.
poypoyking,
I noticed you are in Minneapolis...  Depending on where you are, St. Paul might not be that far to go, to try a fresh Manzano!

I get Manzano's for, i think $8/lb (might be $7 i don't remember exactly) from El Burrito Mercado in St. Paul
whenever we are over that way, we pick up a couple pounds :)
I think they get there Produce in on Thursdays.
They have jarred Aji Amarillos, and Red Rocotos there as well !

I am growing in Zone 4, and also attempting to figure out which varieties will put out enough of a yield to grow again the following year.
So far, for Yield in this climate;  my favorite non Hot variety to grow is Trinidad Perfume, and my favorite Hot variety is Naga Morich.

I am attempting to grow some Rocotos this year (seed I got from Judy/Pepperlover)  I am growing Ecuadorian Sweet, and Peru Bitdumi...  The Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto has just started budding up already, so it may be an earlier producing Varietal ! (I hope) 

If you've never tried a Manzano fresh, it is worth going there to pick some up in my Opinion.

:cheers:

i have a shade cloth , its up 12 " 40% ,  didn't need it last year only had 5 days in the 90's , mid 80's perfect for peppers ! suppose to be identical this year . i did roll it out during bad storms and when they call for hail .    :onfire:

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
poypoyking,
I noticed you are in Minneapolis...  Depending on where you are, St. Paul might not be that far to go, to try a fresh Manzano!

I get Manzano's for, i think $8/lb (might be $7 i don't remember exactly) from El Burrito Mercado in St. Paul
whenever we are over that way, we pick up a couple pounds :)
I think they get there Produce in on Thursdays.
They have jarred Aji Amarillos, and Red Rocotos there as well !

I am growing in Zone 4, and also attempting to figure out which varieties will put out enough of a yield to grow again the following year.
So far, for Yield in this climate;  my favorite non Hot variety to grow is Trinidad Perfume, and my favorite Hot variety is Naga Morich.

I am attempting to grow some Rocotos this year (seed I got from Judy/Pepperlover)  I am growing Ecuadorian Sweet, and Peru Bitdumi...  The Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto has just started budding up already, so it may be an earlier producing Varietal ! (I hope) 

If you've never tried a Manzano fresh, it is worth going there to pick some up in my Opinion.

:cheers:

Wow, I never realized that was there.  Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be swinging by to get some Manzanos!

poypoyking said:

Wow, I never realized that was there.  Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be swinging by to get some Manzanos!

I was able to pick up some orange manzanos at Sun Foods(corner of Dale and University) for $3/lb.  They have a "deli" with a bunch of delicious looking asian food.  I highly recommend picking up a fresh sesame ball or two.  Tasty treat.  

On the topic of the thread - I found some red and yellow rocoto plants as well as some lemon drops at the Hugo Feed Mill in late May.  One of reds has a pod the size of a bigger marble with some other pods about the size of peas.  Can't wait to try them out.  The yellow is just starting to show some flowers, hopefully they stick around.  Lemon drops are starting to set some fruit.  My first year growing them, hopefully it's a good one.

I use the house and trees to plant areas that will get 5-6 hours of direct sunlight.  The rest is filtered or shaded from late afternoon sun.  I also plant strategicaly placed bushes like honeysuckle and Rose of Sharon which grow quick and fill in early in the season.  The new strawbale garden gets noon to sunset sun which is the worst.  I am trying some pole beans every 2-3 ft to run up and over on a string.  I have never been a full sun straight row gardener.  I use Nasturtium, Diakon, Melons, hebs and others along with mulch to shade the roots and hold moisture.

A pole bean shade house is on my list.  Some Scarlet runners might work better to get a cooler/earlier start and up before 90 hits.   

Rairdog, I do much the same with some of what I grow.  No permanent shade options for the bulk of my grow, so I tend to use corn strategically.

Hubbie and I are making a shade cloth canopy set up very slowly :(. It is really hot and humid here in S FL and by summer all my buds fall off and the plant wilts daily in the afternoon. They seem to do much better in the shade but my back yard gets full sun for over 6-8 hours a day. We may get it finished by fall hehehehe.

Angie

Back