• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Homemade Sriracha sauce (raw + fermented)

I have a lot reading about sriracha sauce, I know that is not difficult. then  I want to make homemade sriracha.
I think make a sauce similar to that sell on the grocery but a more fresh flavor.
So we'll do a test after reviewing some recipes.

For this ferment I used sauerkraut like starter and a anuum pepper mix. jalapeños, Serranos, cacho de cabra, cayenne, etc and some Bishops crown.

1-1/2 pound frozen peppers
4 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespon pink salt of the hymalayas
9 garlic clows
1/2 cup of cider vinegar
1 tablespoon oyster sauce

Where we go!

We washed the peppers on tap, and remove the end capes.

2015-06-12%2B15.06.02.jpg

put all ingredients into food processor and crushed

2015-06-12%2B15.22.15.jpg

When the processing was finished, I have a mass... I would want to eating now, that smell is delicious!!!

2015-06-12%2B15.34.49.jpg

Then the must is placed in a sterilized jar 1000cc.

2015-06-12%2B15.34.36.jpg

Now, going to fermenting for 7 days...

2015-06-12%2B15.36.16.jpg

If this sriracha sauce I like, next time I make, be a 1 gallon jar

Looking good, sounds like a good recipe.  I'm wondering about the the vinegar, though.  Most don't add vinegar during the initial fermentation stage.  There's not a whole lot in your recipe, I don't know if it's enough to prevent fermentation to start.  Keep an eye on it and if you don't see bubbles starting, I'd cook it up and start another batch. 

Maybe Rocketman or one of the other more experienced fermenters will chime in.

Here's a pretty good write up about homemade sriracha.  Keep us posted how it's going. 

SL: Thanks for the compliment.

The ferment it's without vinegar. Vinegar will be add only when final process is done... Right?

For now I do it like pics, and as I did say before, after to fermented I add vinegar and oyster sauce

Also I hate the seeds. Before of bottled, the mass is strained to remove the seeds and peel.

Once the mass is clean, add vinegar and oyster sauce.

The original recipe that I follow, do not cooking the sauce thus it is maintaining the freshness of flavor. This ferment is only 7 days of work, I think that be soft flavor at fermented acidy, therefore add vinegar as the acid.

First I go try if i like fresh raw ferment. If I dont like, then cooking the sauce some minutes to first boil and be like sriracha purchased. And compare...

I never tried eat fresh ferment, I dont know if will like me. I think that be good, I hope it.

Well... I will continue making to the sriracha sauce.

First time separated the seeds and the skin of peppers. Was vary complicated, but I could made well, using a patty mold. Press very strong like meat, the juice was out.

2015-06-26%25252013.51.55.jpg

2015-06-26%25252013.53.32.jpg

2015-06-26%25252014.13.40.jpg

The leftovers I will be dry late and after do make a spice powder.

Once finished to extract the juices, add the vinegar and oyster sauce. The flavor was not bad, but I dont like too raw ferment. Then I cooking some minutes to first boil and retired of the fire. I try the flavor again and was perfect! Yeahhh I love it!!!!

2015-06-26%25252014.26.00.jpg

The first debut of this sauce was on milanesa sandwich... Minutes ago :P

2015-06-26%25252014.30.57.jpg

Yes, definitely... the flavor is more fresh, the garlic is very present, the smell of the oyster is felt here. it's similar to than store bought but i think that this flavor is more intense and spicy then it's a bit different.

Everything homemade is better that buyed... I will need bought again a Huy Fong sauce to compare both at the same time.

I made sriracha today, too, but I don't have the courage to try fermented sauce...yet. 

I used this recipe: http://whiteonricecouple.com/recipes/sriracha-recipe-chili-garlic-hot-sauce/ with twice the recommended garlic, palm sugar instead of granulated, cooked quite a bit longer than the recipe called for, and strained rather than blended. I am very happy with the results. 

My peppers are just starting to come in heavy, maybe in a couple weeks I will work up the courage to try a fermented sriracha like cypresshill1973

Back