Hello from Greenville, SC!

Hello everybody,

I'm growing peppers from seed for the first time this year so wish me luck!!  Enjoy all the great information I've ready so far.

Mike

Hi everybody, thanks for welcoming me to the forum :)

I'm growing trinidad scorpions, paper lanterns, red bhut, and yellow bhut.

I'm in Greenville, SC and started growing them from seeds on January 25th under grow lights.  Out of the 20 I planted about 6 are doing pretty well so I've currently got them in 3 gallon pots and I'm trying to keep them outside as much as possible, bringing them in when the heat is too oppressive.

I was planning on keeping them in pots, do you all think I should move them to bigger pots?

I've read pepper plants love the heat, but it just seems like a full day of SC sun is too much and makes them wilt even after a recent watering.

I'm currently dealing with what looks like mealy bugs and fungus gnats and I just finished spraying them with some all natural dish soap and water.  Will give it a couple hours and spray them down again with clean water to rinse everything off.

I pruned them by topping them about a month ago.  I haven't seen any flowering or buds yet, but I'm hoping they start appearing soon.  I'm hoping for a bumper crop :)

I've been reading a bunch of posts in the forum, but if there are any tips based on the basic info I've provided let me know :)  This is my first year really dedicating time to learn.  If any of you have experienced growers have any suggestions, my ears and ears are wide open and I appreciate the input!!

Thanks!!

Mike

I lived in SC for about 5 years and I know exactly what you mean when you refer to a SC sun.  You can keep them in pot and yes larger is better especially if you are looking for a bumper crop. place them in a location to get full sun up to about 10:00am 11:00am the latest and the early evening sun from 4:00 on. or implement a shade cloth. these work very well as I used one this year for hardening off. If you can get them acclimated to accept more full sun the better. they will however do very well in the ambient sun with just a few hours of full sun. your biggest problem will be watering in May  through October when it get real hot. 3 gal pots will not be large enough especially if they are black and you have good soil and drainage. I would recommend 10 gal or more. The other problem you may encounter is sun scald on the fruit. this is why for a small grow a sun shade is a great idea.

Great advice Capcom.  I will check into a sunshade and follow your advice on the larger pots.  Thank you!!​
 ​
Mike​

Hi Mike,

Welcome from Oconee County, SC!

In the heat we're experiencing now, wilting in the afternoon is typical, even if the plants have sufficient water. As long as they perk up overnight, nothing to worry about.

Let us know what you're growing. Good luck with it.

Tom

Back