• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Bug Invasion! Identification Help Please!

Hello fellow guru's,
I come to you for help and guidance with a major problem I'm experiencing. So far all my zucchini plants are now dead due to these disgustingly ugly and evil bugs! I just discovered them 2 days ago when I noticed my 2 zucchini plants were all pale and dieing. Of course after seeing these sickening things comeing out of the root area and all over the veggies I freaked and ripped the plants out of the ground and said good bye to them as I couldn't stand looking at them suffer to these monsters.

There's 2 different bugs, perhaps the small ones turn into the big ones? I'm not sure but some identification would be nice. I'm worried sick that my now producing peppers plants and other veggies may suffer death from these things..

1st Bugs:
bugs1.jpg

2nd Bugs:
bugs2.jpg

First one looks like a boxelder bug to me, second im not sure. I was going to say potato beetle, but those usually have stripes.

I think that the bugs on the 2nd pic are babies, would be a lot of coincidence if two kinda bugs invaded your plants at the same time and they look like a smaller version of the ones on the 1st pic, except for the color, but that's not too unusual!

So should I whip out the flame thrower and toast them to hell?! These are similar to the stink bugs that we've been plagued with this year but only darker. All I know is their sucking the life out of my garden, hell I can no longer look forward to zuchini bread as the bastards killed them all!

Thanks guys for the confirmation

Sorry about your loss Pepp3rFreak they don't like peppers do they? I was going to say that I think it looks like a stinkbug, but I am a little late and everyone beat me to it. Tell you what buddy when we get together for our Coronas and Nagas I'll bring you some zucchini bread. My woman just got a bread maker and I have some friends growing zucchini so it shouldn't be a problem.

Ok Both pictures are of squash bugs. They are NOT stink bugs. In the first pic you caught them mating! Shame on you for catching them in the act! jk The second pic is of the young ones. If you look closely at the leaves of your zucchini you will spot a patch of eggs. They are reddish brown to brown and are in groups of 20 or so. They are small but easy to spot. These bugs easily kill zucchini! I have been to busy this year to keep an eye out for them and control them...so my zucchini plants are all dead now.

How do you get rid of them? Well i have heard that most sprays are not effective on the adult bugs. I have also heard or read that if you squash them, the remains releases a scent that attracts more of the adults. The best way to control them is to 1. remove the eggs, 2. catch the adults with your hand and drown them in soapy water. They are easy to catch. If you water your plants with a showerhead on your hose and soak the plants, the adults will crawl up to the top leaves so they can dry off and they cannot fly when they are wet.

Pepp3rFreak said:
So should I whip out the flame thrower and toast them to hell?! These are similar to the stink bugs that we've been plagued with this year but only darker. All I know is their sucking the life out of my garden, hell I can no longer look forward to zuchini bread as the bastards killed them all!

Thanks guys for the confirmation

Lucky for you that zucchini is disgusting anyway! Bleaccch! :lol:

As long as they dont like peppers!!!!!

ddrsheden said:
Ok Both pictures are of squash bugs.

Thank you ddrsheden!!! I knew they were different in appearance to the typical stink bug and definitely more destructive. Damn these creatures of the garden! I swear I'm going to give up gardening anything but peppers as my veggies are either eaten up by fluffy bunnies or hideous alien like bugs!

I found a baby squash bug on one of my pepper plants yesterday so I promptly when and made a concocsion of boiling water Naga and Garlic and sprayed every single pepper plant I have in hopes to deter these monsters.
concaucsion.jpg

I am pretty sure that they will not bother your peppers. They may sit on other plants as i have seen them on my tomato plants. They only will go after pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, and any other summer and winter squash.

ddrsheden said:
Ok Both pictures are of squash bugs. They are NOT stink bugs. In the first pic you caught them mating! Shame on you for catching them in the act! jk The second pic is of the young ones. If you look closely at the leaves of your zucchini you will spot a patch of eggs. They are reddish brown to brown and are in groups of 20 or so. They are small but easy to spot. These bugs easily kill zucchini! I have been to busy this year to keep an eye out for them and control them...so my zucchini plants are all dead now.

How do you get rid of them? Well i have heard that most sprays are not effective on the adult bugs. I have also heard or read that if you squash them, the remains releases a scent that attracts more of the adults. The best way to control them is to 1. remove the eggs, 2. catch the adults with your hand and drown them in soapy water. They are easy to catch. If you water your plants with a showerhead on your hose and soak the plants, the adults will crawl up to the top leaves so they can dry off and they cannot fly when they are wet.

Are Squash bugs a type of shield bug?

mmmmMMMMMmmmmm! Here is the soup Pepp3rFreak made for his supper :hell:
Add some cream and you've got Pain Chowder

Why does this soup of yours not surprise me one bit?

Pepp3rFreak said:

ddrsheden said:
I am pretty sure that they will not bother your peppers. They may sit on other plants as i have seen them on my tomato plants. They only will go after pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, and any other summer and winter squash.

Oh no, I have cucumbers!!!!!! YIKES!!!

Skyjerk said:
mmmmMMMMMmmmmm! Here is the soup Pepp3rFreak made for his supper :hell:
Add some cream and you've got Pain Chowder

Why does this soup of yours not surprise me one bit?

Haha, this is a good start and the main ingredients for my ub3r chili I'm making this weekend.:mouthonfire: Even my die hard chili friends that like spice can't eat my chili:P

Back