• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What superhot chili is this?

https://youtu.be/OrXOZCRCELg

I'm unsure of what superhot chili pepper this is.

It should be either a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion or a Carolina Reaper based on what I sowed last year, or maybe even a Brain Strain, but it looks weird with differently shaped pods.

The ones without stingers look like generic 7 Pot pods, but those with stingers look like normal Trinidad Scorpions or Butch T Scorpions, having a hint of Carolina Reaper to them.

I'm guessing Reaper myself, due to the difference in shapes, but I could be mistaken.

Can anyone identify this pepper plant?

Given the choices, I am going with Romy6.  All the Carolina Reapers I have grown either had a thin tail or an inverted tail.  Never the thick one I am looking at here.  My moruga dont usually have that much of a pronounced or pointy tail but I have seen moruga like that occasionally and on the same plant as pods that did not have a tail at all.  Did the tail come out as it ripened cause the green do not look to have them.

Given the choices, I would go with moruga for an odd reason.  From what I have read, the first moruga and brain strain were very much alike in appearance and neither were often observed with a tail that pronounced.  More of a blunt little thing.  I have seen pictures of peppers people said were brain strain that do have the more pronounced pointy tail, but typically not much of a tail.  My brain strain do not show much of a tail.  More of a short lump.

My -theory- is that because the moruga is so often called the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, that people have selected pods with tails for seed saving due to the name.  So -maybe- the trait that was fairly rare a few years ago is becoming more common in available seed stock.

Gotta again stress the words theory and maybe.  Not sure why the tail is showing up more recently.  For all I know, it is just that I happen upon those photos more than the other more classic shape. No clue.

Back