• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pimient de espelette peppers

I have a number of these peppers ready to pick, and more blooming.  Anybody have ideas for best use of these?   Sauce? Sauteed with meal?  Dried to use as spice powder? 

a local spice company here sells the ground powder for $17.99 for 30 grams - they claim the pepper is rare.

bill moore has a youtube review, he mentions maybe a powder; judging by the size of the pods, all the things you mentioned would work as would stuffing with feta cheese.

Pepper powder is the traditional preparation, but I think coarsely ground chile flakes would be good. My parents grew some a few years ago and gave me some flakes that were absolutely delicious.

Terry,

Any pics?  As others have mentioned, powder is one of the primary uses.  Something between a paprika and cayenne used in Basque cooking.  Were you in the giveaway by MarcV last October?  Hopefully, he will comment on the topic and provide his input.  He is a Piment d'Espelette pepper guy.  Marc distributed seeds last October from a fantastic looking rista he purchased in France.  If possible do provide pics.  Why not try a Chicken Paprikash or Beef Goulash with your peppers?  Just a thought.  Below is my pepper plant.

Oh, just saw this recipe in cooking with fire, so had to edit my post:  http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38870-poulet-basquaise-basque-chicken/?hl=espellette

xhOoXXem.jpg

Love that recipe, I made it a couple of times myself! :) I used red Madiran wine instead of the suggested white wine. Madiran wine is a wine produced in the same area as where the Piment D'Espelette is grown.
I love Piment D'Espelette as a powder and use it on all kinds of food. It is often used as a replacement of black pepper.

I have (only) two plants growing right now. They are both very strong plants and good producers. Unfortunately temperature isn't willing to cooperate. Sofar I only had two ripe pods that were rather small. I'm planning on growing more plants next year...

I still have seeds available by the way. I expect that seeds will also become available from Pepperlover as I sent her a packet for multiplication.

Marc,

My plants grown from the seed you sent me are doing well. I've also got a plant from a different seed source before I received seeds from you. I'll be comparing pods to see if they are the same. If all goes well, I'll be saving seeds from your pods and offering them to other folks this autumn.

Tom

kentishman said:
Marc,

My plants grown from the seed you sent me are doing well. I've also got a plant from a different seed source before I received seeds from you. I'll be comparing pods to see if they are the same. If all goes well, I'll be saving seeds from your pods and offering them to other folks this autumn.

Tom

I'm curious to know how different they will be! :)

OK, thanks every one for responding.  I order varieties of seeds each year and wanted to try this one.  I guess I'll dry and make into powder or flakes.  I might roast with a meal.  Prefer to have peppers that go right into sauces, not powders, but live and learn.  I'd post  a picture of them, but seem to never get "photo posting" right.  Not computer illiterate, but seem to have some block in my brain on how to do it.  Maybe another shot will work.  By the way, try TX Blended Whiskey.  I recently had some.  May only be available in Texas.  $38 a bottle may be high, but oh my..............................what a treat.  Even makes trying to post a picture to the Pepper page less stressful, even when you screw it up each time (only tried twice and gave up).  Usually just sit back and enjoy all the posts and ideas on this site.  Again, thanks for your help.  I'll give up on trying this one in a hot sauce, and use it for what it is

teepus, you're not the only one that can't figure out how to post pictures! I've tried more than once and joined PhotoBucket and some other place, but I've given up.

Have another TX!

Again, thanks to everyone for responding.  This site is amazing with so many people responding to all topics.  It is refreshing to be a part of a site where all are truly as a group of connected individuals, with a common affinity for peppers, yet nobody knows each other; there's no hate, spite, anger, etc.  Long live food related sites.  I'll check into making the flakes and drying as others have posted, but hope all info does not tell me to dry in an oven at 120F for 2 days!   My wife will kill me!  And glad to hear from kentishman who has trouble posting pictures also.   Now I can tell my wife, "See, I'm not the only incompetent person in the world!".  just kidding kintishman

Back