Hydroponic / Aquaponic subforum?

Would anyone else be interested in a sub-forum dedicated to growing (mainly peppers) hydroponically? At the moment both "Grow Tech" and "Growing Peppers" would both be fitting forums to ask questions regarding hydro related issues / ideas I guess, but it's easy to get lost there among all other subjects.

There are a wealth of information available on the internet to dig into but all active discussion forums are almost strictly related to weed growing, and I would feel reluctant to discuss pepper / veg growing there.

It would be nice to have a dedicated place to discuss nutrients / systems / ideas / issues strictly related to growing in hydro / aquaponic.

Now there might not be enough of a community within THP to warrant such a sub-forum, but I thought it would be worth at least a discussion about it.

If there is already such a place here at THP, please ignore... and point me in the right direction :eek: 

grantmichaels said:
I've long wished there was an 'indoor' sub-cat - allowing aero and even sterile dirt etc ...

I don't know anything about sterile dirt, but yea aero would def. fit in there. Will probably build a small aeroponics system in the future just to see how it works.

Phil said:
AJ, you only need one more new thread to dominate the recent window! Don't stop now!

LOL! Nevermind! The pic looked the same at a glance...  carry on. Sorry Pebbles! I thought you were AJ!

:dance:

Hell yes I'd be interested. I'm moving all my indoor stuff to hydro. Had a big fail with aquaponics due to various defficiencies, and can't be bothered addressing every single deficiency as there are just too many. So will go to good old hydro where all nutes are already there without having to feed the fish this and that....

So in shot - yes, hell yes.

SentencedToBurn said:
Hell yes I'd be interested. I'm moving all my indoor stuff to hydro. Had a big fail with aquaponics due to various defficiencies, and can't be bothered addressing every single deficiency as there are just too many. So will go to good old hydro where all nutes are already there without having to feed the fish this and that....

So in shot - yes, hell yes.

Awesome SentencedToBurn! I am running a couple of hydroponic systems outdoors atm, going very well. I did an indoor Aquaponic system, it worked well but I only did greens. There are people growing fruiting trees successfully with aquaponics using a dual pot system to supplement deficiencies, without exposing the fish.

What kind of system are you planning / running ? 

Hey dude here is a quick overview of the aquaponics, there is a 2nd part with an update but yeah, the greens are doing well, everything else not so well.
So I'm planning to keep it until summer (our summer) and then replace the crayfish tank with just a 20L container, and use the same setup but just as straight hydro. And will probably use the crayfish tank as a 3rd grow bed.

But currently I'm just running a few DWC buckets with chillies for my hyrdo plants - they are doing pretty well.

Looking good, but yea fruiting trees is a different beast, you should def. keep the aquaponic system / crayfish alive though if you have the space. How deep is that grow bed, and how much gravel is in there? Might be the perspective of the video but looks a little bit shallow.

I ended my aquaponic project and now it´s just an aquarium, but when I do water changes I always dump the old aquarium water to where I have things growing in soil (passion fruit, kiwi, grape, lime), and they seem to love it. Obviously not a replacement for good soil and nutrients but hopefully a little kick that wont hurt the roots anyway. 

Yeah nah I think unless some miracle happens I'll convert my setup to hydro - at least there are no deficiency there if you use good nutes (which I do). Aquaponics for fun for a while but yeah, I do want to see some chillies as a result haha.

SentencedToBurn said:
Yeah nah I think unless some miracle happens I'll convert my setup to hydro - at least there are no deficiency there if you use good nutes (which I do). Aquaponics for fun for a while but yeah, I do want to see some chillies as a result haha.
Sentenced couldn't you just add a light dose of regular hydro nutrients to the crayfish tank and they still live? I think it shouldn't hurt them at less than 400 ppm. But Im not for sure. Just food for thought.

Yellowfin2na said:
Sentenced couldn't you just add a light dose of regular hydro nutrients to the crayfish tank and they still live? I think it shouldn't hurt them at less than 400 ppm. But Im not for sure. Just food for thought.
Hey mate I never tried it, might give it a go actually. I guess since I'm planning to get rid of them anyway - this might work.

Will do it this weekend will post here.

Sweet I'm interested to see what happends. I put nutes in with my betta fish to ripen off a branch that broke with a few peppers on it. It worked and the betta lived. But the betta has the ability to breath air so idk if that changed anything.

I do both, and swap between hydro and dirt, though aquaponics is a bit out of my league due to time involved to get it "just right" for fruiting plants.
Sub forums would be a nice addition, but not really necessary, as you can tell from the posts which is which.

Yellowfin2na said:
Sweet I'm interested to see what happends. I put nutes in with my betta fish to ripen off a branch that broke with a few peppers on it. It worked and the betta lived. But the betta has the ability to breath air so idk if that changed anything.
I have a small 40L aquarium with a few guppies in it and it has an aquaponics bed hooked up to it as well - so I've just added a small amount of my hydro nutes I use (only about 20% of what I should use for the volume of the tank). Will monitor water quality and fish behaviour over the next few days, and if all is well then will add a small amount to my crayfish aquaponics setup.

I also have put a bunch of seeds on to germinate so if the experiment with the small tank goes well, I will pop a few peppers into the big growbeds to see how they deal with small amounts of hydroponics nutes (and hopefully the crayfish will survive).

Good deal. But also note that guppies can breath air out of water as well. Really interested to see what happends the crayfish. Either way I guess it will work or they will be dinner?

SentencedToBurn said:
I have a small 40L aquarium with a few guppies in it and it has an aquaponics bed hooked up to it as well - so I've just added a small amount of my hydro nutes I use (only about 20% of what I should use for the volume of the tank). Will monitor water quality and fish behaviour over the next few days, and if all is well then will add a small amount to my crayfish aquaponics setup.

I also have put a bunch of seeds on to germinate so if the experiment with the small tank goes well, I will pop a few peppers into the big growbeds to see how they deal with small amounts of hydroponics nutes (and hopefully the crayfish will survive).

Interesting. When I ran my aquaponics setup I ran with guppies as well. Now they are just living in a plain old aquarium with a filter though. They are breeding like crazy... not sure what to do with all the fry since. Will be overpopulated soon.

Back