gadgets Recommend Grate Thermometer for Kettle?

It measures both meat and oven temp with a single probe??

Yup ...

I use it 90% of the time, inside and outside ...

I use a fancier one only for brisket, really ...

Roguejim said:
The one I saw said it was intended for meat.  I've seen guys stick the probe through a foil ball.  Can I do the same with the Weber meat thermometer probe?

This is the one: http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/tools/1553
I have that one. It works fine for meat. No complaints. It does pretty accurately measure ambient air temp so it would probably measure grill temp just fine although I have not tried it.

funny-cat-chemistry-laboratory-glasses.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Yup ...

I use it 90% of the time, inside and outside ...

I use a fancier one only for brisket, really ...
I'm just trying to get my head around this. You insert th
grantmichaels said:
Will you cook more than one item at a time?

Because I have to tell you, I rarely pull out the schmancy one's (iGrill2, Mav ET-733 & 735 ) and almost always just use the lazy man's dream anymore ...

http://amzn.com/B000YUELYC
I'm still trying to get my head around this. You insert the probe in the meat, and it can give you an ambient air reading, too? Wow.

Yup.

The big end sticking out has a separate probe than the tip ...

Thing's great.

It won't notify you inside, that there's a problem outside if it's too far away to hear the beep ... otherwise, yes, it's a $20 dual probe, probe ...

I use the heck out of mine ...
I'm about to use in a bit ...

Throwing a frozen Butterball on the Akorn ... once it thaws enough, I'll stick and take a picture of the bird, and the display of the unit etc ...

Nice GM that's the one I was looking for!! :) though I always break out my Mav when working product on the smoker. BBQ is not a lazy man's sport. And I'm to cheap to ruin a good chunk of protein !! :) hehehe

oldsalty said:
Nice GM that's the one I was looking for!! :) though I always break out my Mav when working product on the smoker. BBQ is not a lazy man's sport. And I'm to cheap to ruin a good chunk of protein !! :) hehehe
That probe looks pretty beefy where the wire goes in. Just wondering how big of a hole I'd need to drill through my kettle, and future WSM to allow it to pass through?

That probe looks pretty beefy where the wire goes in. Just wondering how big of a hole I'd need to drill through my kettle, and future WSM to allow it to pass through?

plug end goes out through small 1/4" hole, instead of putting the probe through ... make sense? ...

grantmichaels said:
plug end goes out through small 1/4" hole, instead of putting the probe through ... make sense? ...
Yep, thanks.
grantmichaels said:
How would you handle a rack of pork spares with this unit?

grantmichaels said:
People probe ribs? =)

Well, shit, I should have probed my ribs last weekend ... I turned them into Bacos.
Well, I didn't think it was a stupid question, LDHS. There is at least 1 bbq comp pro who uses probes for his ribs. Yeah, most do not. So, since this a single probe w/dual action, you gotta stick that probe somewhere, no?? Either in the ribs, or a ball of foil, maybe? Just wondering what Grant did as he burned his ribs!

grantmichaels said:
It was ~1AM and I was full of both lobster and beer - is how =)
That sounds reasonable, but it doesn't answer the question. Maybe you didn't use grate probe at all? Sorry about the ribs=)

Back