• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Father's day jerk pork

Well it's father's day. I have some jerk sauce ready. I have a pork shoulder that I let Marinade overnight. I just fired up my lil Bradley and now it's time to sit back to sip on a beer.

Pork on the rack and ready to go in

The beer is for reference only. I haven't drank enough to try and smoke it too.

Up to temp and starting to smoke. I've put enough pucks in to give me 3 hours of smoke. I've also mixed them up so that I have an apple then mesquite every second puck. Going to see how different pucks will change the flavor.

Neil

Jerk rub that early, isn't it going to burn up?

The Hot Pepper said:
Jerk rub that early, isn't it going to burn up?

Doesn't ... oddly.

I was super worried when I made my own for the jerk wing challenge ...

Paste thickens, but all that chopped up stuff in there ... green just doesn't want to burn ...

Wings don't take long, that pork is like a 12 hour smoke or so...

Never done it so... don't know. :)

Personally I'd jerk it up the last 2.5 hours... but looking forward to the outcome. 

Regular bone in shoulder. It had a thick fat cap on it too. I was a little surprised to see mom take some extra bark for her sammy. It had 9 bonnets in it and she's not a hot food lover. It was nice to have my parents down for father's day. The boy really enjoyed the day too. He was knighted. He is now Sir Liam.

Neil

Looks like a great day man!

Thought you were going to smoke it longer for pulling is why I wondered about the jerk burning... going for moist slices/chopped, never done that. Looks good. I want some with mayo on white bread for some reason. 

The Hot Pepper said:

Thought you were going to smoke it longer for pulling is why I wondered about the jerk burning... going for moist slices/chopped, never done that. Looks good. I want some with mayo on white bread for some reason. 
Ah that's what I thought. No pulled this time. Still haven't done pulled. Parents were down and were getting restless. 72 and 65 year olds eh? :lol:

I'm glad they came to visit. Even had the mother in-law down for a bit. The boy sure loves his grandma.

Neil

The Hot Pepper said:

'Cause you're freakin' crazy that's why!  Mayo and white bread with jerk???  Mayo???  Holy smokes.  I have now heard it all.

Mayo is just eggs and oil bro... and there's a jar in the pic lol... I bet he used some as well. Shall we talk about blackening in oil? Or.........

Back