• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment smokey maple BBQ sauce

It;s the time of year when the garden is producing and I look at what's left in the freezer....in this case smoked and reduced tomatoes .. I want to make a BBQ sauce using the smoked tomatoes , smoked habenero powder, cider vinegar  and our own maple syrup .. any one have thoughts on proportions  or complimentary flavours ?

JoynersHotPeppers said:
I prefer vinegar over lime in my BBQ but maybe use a different vinegar like white or rice...also not sure how smokey the tomatoes and powder is so could be smoke heavy 
 Seeing as maple syrup is now [after an atrocious production this spring ] running at $30+ Canadian  a liter ..  i want to at least get the maple taste through  ,  I may have to do some dry runs,  just adding ingredients to the syrup to see which complements or wipes  out the maple taste

This is the base to one of my BBQ sauces (Of course I didn't include my secret ingredients LOL *A small hint, dry bbq rub spices, make great spices for bbq sauce*), you could modify it how you see fit, to match your ingredients, to your taste preference. You could probably cut the molasses to 1/4 cup, and up the syrup to 1/2 cup, and cut the brown sugar down a bit. That should give you a strong maple flavor. Sub the smoked Habs, for the Cayenne powder. With the smoked tomatoes and habs, you might not even need to put the sauce on the smoker at all.

Ingredients

2 Cups ketchup
1 Cup White Vinegar
1/4 Cup maple syrup
1/2 Cup molasses
2 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
3/4 Cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. cayenne powder

Directions

Combine all ingredients together, and bring to a boil, stirring regularly.
Lower temp, and simmer, stirring regularly, until sauce is a little thinner than your desired consistency (approx 30-35 min).
Place on smoker at 225° with apple wood smoke for approximately 30 min.
Remove from smoker, stir well, and bottle in pint mason jars.

This is the one I make at the moment. It's adapted from a Kiwi chef called Al Brown from his book called Stoked.  google it for the front cover alone, got to love the picture on it.  Great book though.  

This makes 1 1/2 litres (although I usually do a triple batch at a time, Ange and I cannon ball this stuff)

1/4 cup canola oil (although I am going to use 1/2 cup butter this time round) 
1 cup finely diced onion
chilli powder of choice, to taste and heat level.  I am dropping the rest of a bag of JHPs smoked banshee in my next batch.
2 tablespoons cumin seeds toasted in a pan and then ground before adding
1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika ( or 1 tablespoon of bumpers smoked cayenne!   :P )
1 teaspoon celery seeds, ground (or just use celery salt and reduce the salt a little in the rest of the recipe)
1 cup bourbon
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses - you could sub maple syrup here
2 cans crushed tomatoes - or equivalent of passatta
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 cup apple juice or apple cider
1/4 cup worcester sauces
2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
2 drops liquid smoke - I use applewood - you won't need this with your smoked tomatoes
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Colour the onion up and add the rest of the ingredients and then simmer for 30 minutes stirring regularly, or until the consistency is where you want it to be.  

Back