• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Same Sex Marriage - Now legal in all 50 States

It is a Friday and the Supreme Court has ruled same sex marriage is legal in all 50 states, protected by the constitution.  Upon reading this, my first thought was stay away from areas with gay bars tonight cause there's gonna be some major parties.

Here's the end of the ruling ...

“No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of  civilization’s oldest institutions. They as for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgement of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed.

It is so ordered.”

It's about time, really. To each ...

Awesome news! I have always supported gay marriage. Who are the government, or any of us, to dictate how someone else lives their lives? You don't have to believe it is right, but what someone else does with THEIR lives is no one's business but their own. As long as you are not endangering anyone else's well being, you should have the right to do whatever you want with you life. Have a heroin addiction and overdose on a speedball. Drink yourself to death in the privacy of your own home. Marry and sex with someone of your own gender. Worship whatever deity you choose, just keep your beliefs off of my body. And if any of these are immoral or a sin to a greater power, you can answer to them when you die because it was your life choice.

TrueNorthReptiles said:
Awesome news! I have always supported gay marriage. Who are the government, or any of us, to dictate how someone else lives their lives? You don't have to believe it is right, but what someone else does with THEIR lives is no one's business but their own. As long as you are not endangering anyone else's well being, you should have the right to do whatever you want with you life. Have a heroin addiction and overdose on a speedball. Drink yourself to death in the privacy of your own home. Marry and sex with someone of your own gender. Worship whatever deity you choose, just keep your beliefs off of my body. And if any of these are immoral or a sin to a greater power, you can answer to them when you die because it was your life choice.
Run for office, and you've got my vote.

It's about time gays be granted the same constitutional rights as the rest of us. I'd be pretty cheesed if some dickhead politician, pandering to a bunch of redneck bigot constituents, decided that my wife and I shouldn't be allowed to marry because it didn't align with his "morals". LOL at politicians and their "morals". F**k them.

ajdrew said:
It is a Friday and the Supreme Court has ruled same sex marriage is legal in all 50 states, protected by the constitution.  Upon reading this, my first thought was stay away from areas with gay bars tonight cause there's gonna be some major parties.

Well, that is a view (the backed by the constitution part)not shared by all of the justices:

In dissent, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. said the Constitution had nothing to say on the subject of same-sex marriage.
“If you are among the many Americans — of whatever sexual orientation — who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today’s decision,” Chief Justice Roberts wrote. “Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.”
muskymojo said:
It happens to be Pride Weekend this weekend too. I actually got invited to a pride party tomorrow night that a friend is having. I'll probably stop in for a while if I'm not too tired after work.

I think my wife is planning on going. I declined though. Just not my thing.

ribbedturtleneck said:
Looks like a loss for democratic states' rights to me.

Definitely.

grantmichaels said:

Too many states loaded with imbeciles, and run by imbeciles too, apparently.

While that is most certainly true, the feds have a habit of stomping on States rights that are supposed to be guaranteed by the constitution.

Of course the fed government is mostly run by imbeciles too...

630610.jpg

tumblr_mblreuXEvI1rrmqy1o1_500.png

0ebd57b9b9291e31c348b5972020d314d4bbfa2c9579f99c5616d422a66be613.jpg

download.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Turtles Imbeciles all the way down.

hqdefault.jpg

Back