• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Grandpa Siam says Spring is near -Winter Tour

My old Siam plant put out about 50 blooms last week...spring must be close. I made all the pics small for those crashing into the 18th century on dial-up - click them for a bigger image.

Its been a mild winter here with a lot more rain than anyone expected. So a good time to do a tour of the nerd yard & see whats been happening.

Up at the gate, the Takanotsume is full of flowers, unfortunately the top half was taken off by the paperboy last week......planning my revenge

2 Scotch Bonnets looking really healthy, some flowers

more posts coming.....

The Serrano didn't even blink over winter

Malawi birdseye came back to life...if only just

Orange habs have been putting out winter habs right through, they're about 1/2 size but still pack a decent punch. This is going to be an awesome plant this year.

...still more to come....

Spot the little 7-pots ...or as I like to call it my 7-pot-plot
They're actually all about 6 months old but I held them in small pots for a few months before planting them out.

The Broome chilli that took all winter to ripen. I like these...say bye-bye to this pod...THSC will be gobbling it down next week :P

I know you've all been waiting for this...& thank-you for all the concerned PM's. DOUGLAH is up and well...plenty of flower nodes but no blooms yet. Best of all no sign of that ugly virus when it lost all of its leaves.

...hey, dont go yet, still more lol....

Flowering 7-pot

Yellow Congo is pushing out it's first pods

Asian birdseye has kept me well supplied all winter (as always) leaves are going a little yellow though will have to look into that...probably just needs a dose of fert....or too much water from all the rain.

...1 more post to go....

A new Tom plant called Amish Oxheart lol. Put it in the same spot as where the 'trifid' cherry tom was. Fingers crossed

My potato cage - as you can see using the chicken wire they're coming out the sides as well as the top....no idea how its all going to work out.

...yeah that'll do for now

Enjoy :)

like the amish tom one for my grow list,oo pics of the douglah bent
mine are only tiny,all in all your plants seemed to have braved winter really well..whats your lowest night time temps? :)

It got down to 2 C (35F) last week....always gets coldest at the end of winter here. Days have been great & warm though...when its not raining.

Theres a westerly wind comes up sometime in the next month. Its called the lazy breeze because it goes right through you instead of going around. If they survive that its plain sailing through summer.

i suppose the wind is a good/bad thing in respect if the plants are outside and have been used to it and grown strong stems and leaf structure..certainly seems to have been the case here with strong winds right through summer so far,but your conditions sound great if theres not much rain and its not drought conditions makes it a lovely place to be a gardner :)

yeah its a brutal wind, gotta watch out for old branches coming off trees & the chill factor it brings really tests things out.
I couldn't imagine not having a 12 month growing season...some of my plants (grandpa siam for eg) will be on their 4 th year in the ground. They really adapt well & just keep getting stronger.

looks like you got a great head start for spring Bent...

hey, what ever happened to the plant that was growing up the tree last season...I don't remember what it was but remember how high in the tree it got...

AlabamaJack said:
looks like you got a great head start for spring Bent...

hey, what ever happened to the plant that was growing up the tree last season...I don't remember what it was but remember how high in the tree it got...

lol yeah they were pumpkin vines that shot up when we finally got rain early in the year. Had 5 good pumpkins off them but when everything got dry again the vines shriveled.

I was kind of glad because 1 heavy one fell that I didnt know was up there...i was about 20 ft from it.....would have beaned me real good :P

bentalphanerd said:
would have beaned me real good :P

:lol: can see the headlines now..."Gardener Injured By Falling Pumpkin"...A gardener was inspecting his plants yesterday when a giant pumpkin fell out of a tree hitting him on the head. The gardener survived with minor injuries that included a minor concussion, sprained neck, and bruised ego.......

AlabamaJack said:
:lol: can see the headlines now..."Gardener Injured By Falling Pumpkin"...A gardener was inspecting his plants yesterday when a giant pumpkin fell out of a tree hitting him on the head. The gardener survived with minor injuries that included a minor concussion, sprained neck, and bruised ego.......

Injured Ha...from memory it was about a 6 kg queensland blue from about 12' up...good chance it would have led to the worlds most embarrassing epitaph :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
Is that O Hab going to be a second or third year plant Bent?...and did you cut it back or just let it grow thru winter?

thats a 3 year old but was drought hardened & scraggly until 6 months ago, thats why I figure its going to be so great this season..it survived so long on next to nothing. I didnt cut it back...i farm by neglect, just let my plants do their thing and adapt to the environment.

915river said:
You have some nice plants out there down under I wishing you good season.

Thanks, all the best for your crop too.

Nice healthy looking plants there Bent. My old Orange Habs from last year have been turned into Bonsai Habs, you know just for the hell of it.

Back