• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil What soil mix is the best for root pouches/smart pots?

This is my first year using fabric pots. I am using straight Hyponex soil in some of mine and everything seems to be going well so far. In some pots I am using a mix of half new Hyponex soil and half soil that I used last year. The half and half mix seems to dry out a little bit slower than the straight potting mix.

I use coconut coir, compost and perlite 40%/30%/30%. But I have my root pouches sitting in a raised bed with a pond liner in it, so the water goes back in the bottom after it drains out.

Dr.Pepper said:
This is my first year using fabric pots. I am using straight Hyponex soil in some of mine and everything seems to be going well so far. In some pots I am using a mix of half new Hyponex soil and half soil that I used last year. The half and half mix seems to dry out a little bit slower than the straight potting mix.

Unfortunately Hyponex soil isn't available in my area, only Vigoro, Nutrigarden and the usual MiracleGrow mixes.

DawgNutts said:
I use coconut coir, compost and perlite 40%/30%/30%. But I have my root pouches sitting in a raised bed with a pond liner in it, so the water goes back in the bottom after it drains out.

Interesting! I have my root pouches on the floor but that info might be useful someday.

Really depends on your individual environment .
I live in Florida where it is always hot and humid .
My containers dry out super fast .
I tried using them and quickly learned it was not for me . 

I guess you could experiment with several soils and see which works best ?
You can always add per-lite or pine bark to reduce a soil that is holding  too much water and or not drying out fast enough . 

If it gets really hot, make sure you have some kind of saucer on the bottom of each pot.  When it gets in the 90's and up, I will water them until the water drains into the saucer.   If I don't do that they will dry out.  

roper2008 said:
If it gets really hot, make sure you have some kind of saucer on the bottom of each pot.  When it gets in the 90's and up, I will water them until the water drains into the saucer.   If I don't do that they will dry out.  

Good idea! I'll try that.

JohnPablok said:
Interesting! I have my root pouches on the floor but that info might be useful someday.

Here is a pic of my raised beds
11402802_10204779959194125_16036869419335317_n.jpg

11181215_10204779959274127_603228035931446445_n.jpg

I would suggest looking into peroxide algae treatments if that stuff is giving you fits. Personally wouldn't use copper or chelates copper for food, but they are a cheaper option.

I forgot to change the settings after I leak tested them last week and it filled up the reservoir with water, that's when the algae grew. I'm just letting them bottom water for now until it's gone down then I will scoop the rest out. Plan to install a drain tube also. The algae is kinda ugly but it doesn't hurt anything.

Back