• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

How bad are the Mosquitos where you are ?

damn , was out going through the plants and just like that 100's of mosquitos all over me chomping at my only blood source ! all this damn rain !  their just horrific !  had one land on my head about as big as this one ! lol

th-20.jpeg

Well I live in the south and the mosquito is our state bird as many say down here.  They seem to really like hanging out in the canopy of your plants and really come out to suck your blood when watering the plants.  A few years ago I had to go and water with long sleeve shirt and pants on.  They don't seems as bad this year but they are always there to some degree.  I have a fire pit in the middle of my yard that I smoke out the blood suckers any chance I get.

Ducks and frogs!  Even if county / chlorinated water isnt all that bad for plants, I am a cheap bastard who catches as much rain water as possible.  So I have a lot of places for the little bastards to grow.  The duck and frogs gobble the little blood suckers up like mad.  Looks like me at Golden Corral.

I use my thermacell.  After trying it for early bowhunting the last few years I was sold.  Let it warm up a bit, clip it to my shorts and it does pretty good.  I will see an occasional one land but they usually take off before biting.

It's a very strange Summer here. I haven't seen a single mosquito yet. Even after all the rain we had a few days ago. My 30 x 30 back ground plot is surrounded by knee to waist high grass/weeds and still no mosquitoes. And I'm out there early morning and in the evening. Now the damn flies/biting flies have been driving me half mad. I can't stand flies.

moruga welder said:
i can box you up some and send them to you , free of charge !    :onfire:

Hell no! Keep em. That damn sound when they buzz in your ear drives me up the wall. Worst part is when you get one in your room at night and can't find it. Always goes right for the ear and that buzzing wakes me right up. Lights go on and don't go back off until that bastard is found and eradicated lol.

Scorched said:

Hell no! Keep em. That damn sound when they buzz in your ear drives me up the wall. Worst part is when you get one in your room at night and can't find it. Always goes right for the ear and that buzzing wakes me right up. Lights go on and don't go back off until that bastard is found and eradicated lol.
mine are special tho ! lol  now thats some funny sh!t !  

Rairdog said:
I use my thermacell.  After trying it for early bowhunting the last few years I was sold.  Let it warm up a bit, clip it to my shorts and it does pretty good.  I will see an occasional one land but they usually take off before biting.

That puppy works? ... If so, I'm ordering one overnight.

Make sure your repellent contains DEET if you don't want them near you. Kiss organic methods goodbye as they are not nearly as effective as a DEET based spray or lotion.

grantmichaels said:

That puppy works? ... If so, I'm ordering one overnight.

I was skeptical.....been thare done that with many gadgets.  It is not a miracle and a few will still get you.  It needs warmed up and is more effective if you are stationary or moving slow like watering/trimming.  It puts out a shield of smoke that is barely noticeable.  Tending the grill or sitting on the patio it works great.  If you tromp through the garden/grass/bushes and stir them up they will get ya.          

Back