• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Compost Tea and PH levels - question

Hey ya'll

So I never really measure anything, PH included, but I noticed some leaves yellowing and decided to check my run-off. I found the ph to be very low. 

Does anyone else have issues with low ph with compost teas? If so, what do you add to correct it? (I have ph up and dolomite lime, just looking for ideas)

Or, if you use compost teas and do NOT have ph issues (and have checked to be sure), what do you use in the tea?

Maybe too heavy on the molasses. I've heard some brands under high concentrations can drop a tea to 5 or so pH. I eyeball to around a tsp per litre (heavy tablespoon per gallon) and the last time I checked it came out around 6. I wouldn't worry about anything over 5, the soil should have a buffering capacity. What was the pH of the run off and tea?

3.4 - for both. I had been using the same recipe for a while now (without checking the ph) and the plants loved it, until the soil seems to have lost its buffering over time and taken on the ph of the tea. Now, of course, I am slowly correcting the issue. But that's a good thought about the molasses. I think I use less than you describe, but I just hand poor into a 20 gallon res, so no way to be sure since I never measured (I am pretty good at weights and measure in my head, and will try to use less to see what the ph comes out to).

I was wondering if I increase one of the meals or maybe the worm castings if the ph would go up a bit by itself. But decreasing the molasses is definitely worth a shot. Thanks for the idea!

miguelovic said:
Maybe too heavy on the molasses. I've heard some brands under high concentrations can drop a tea to 5 or so pH. I eyeball to around a tsp per litre (heavy tablespoon per gallon) and the last time I checked it came out around 6. I wouldn't worry about anything over 5, the soil should have a buffering capacity. What was the pH of the run off and tea?
PS: I use the hi-brix Earth Juice molasses for plants.

Ah yeah, I believe someone else had the same problem with EJ molasses. Store bought black strap should solve the issue unless you luck out and find a similar product.

Could try adding more castings but it might take enough to make mud. Meals, lime or pH up are wild cards. I don't believe anyone has tested their effect on microbial growth.

I doubt runoff is a very accurate indicator of pH anyhow.
What water did you use to test the runoff?
Why do you think it's a pH problem? Yellowing can be a host of things including over-watering and under-watering.

I don't use ACT's anymore but never had any problems when I did.
I used only compost and some Grandmas unsulfured molasses when I did it as that is what "compost tea" is.
Adding other things I feel makes it into more of a nutrient tea or whatever you want to call it as there are many "teas" out there.

Back