• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Mexi-Que Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
MEXI-QUE

This is fusion. You must compose an entree with American BBQ and Mexican influences and ingredients combined, not straight American BBQ and Mexican as separate entrees on one plate. The fusion must be cohesive and evident.

So not a Mexican taco and burnt ends, fusion means fusing, a burnt ends taco with pico slaw would be fusion. Fuse or cross spices, rubs, sauces, etc. The rest is up to you! No ideas. Let's see how you Mexi-Que!

• American BBQ means it must be smoked using an electric, gas, or charcoal/wood smoker. Indirect.
  • Mexican means authentic or Tex-Mex.
  • These must be fused into one so you do not need to be traditional with spices and ingredients as long as they are crossover from one cuisine to the other. But you must cook in the style of American BBQ for at least part of each entree, but may also incorporate Mexican cooking methods into that same entree.
  • Anything goes as far as meats and proteins.
  • You must present one plate for the entree, but may have up to two entrees on that plate. (The combo plate is common with Mexican and BBQ.)
  • You are allowed two sides which may be on the plate or as side dishes. If choosing one it must be fusion. If choosing two, they may be fusion, or you may have one Mexican side and one American BBQ side. Rice and beans may be treated as one side.
  • You are allowed one beverage or cocktail which needs to fit the theme of the meal. Up to you.

CLICK: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry
Title your entry, list all ingredients (measurements for baking and sauces, everything else can be ballparked) and cooking methods.
PoL: .76 (For 1776, or .75 for the penny hating nations)
(PoL only needs to be shown ONCE in a pic with all or a majority of the ingredients used, or in a final presentation pic of the main entry, preferably not on the plate.)
PIC ALLOWANCE: 2 pics per entree, 2 pics per side, 1 beverage pic. Use the allowance however you want.

ENDS SUNDAY 10 PM EDT

avli11.jpg

my macaw celebrated early by flying away and getting his independence  :( not sure if i'll participate in this. I had a few interesting ideas, so maybe i will and he'll fly back to the smell. we'll see

BigB said:
my macaw celebrated early by flying away and getting his independence  :( not sure if i'll participate in this. I had a few interesting ideas, so maybe i will and he'll fly back to the smell. we'll see
Hope he returns man...bummer

BigB said:

oh, man - that makes me a bit sad, really ...

hopefully it didn't fly too far away ...

BigB said:
BBQ Macaw?
Praying he comes back. Beautiful birds.

That's an expensive loss... bet who ever spots it will be dumbfounded. Hopefully you find it. Doubt it would venture very far being that it's not overly in shape for flying most likely. Would be like if my fat ass got off the couch for the first time in 10 years and tried running from the cops. I'd only make it a block before I collapsed. 

BigB said:
. Sorry, that sucks big time. Those guys become family pretty quick.

Got the meats marinading this morning when I got home from work. Two Entries, Beef Short ribs and Pork back ribs. 

_MG_0944.JPG

_MG_0948.JPG

Beef short ribs rubbed down with Firelands foods Bhut mustard, cumin, pequin powder, joregano, sea salt and pepper. 
Pork ribs is just stone ground mustard, famous daves rub, applewood rub, pepper, sea salt and garlic.

_MG_0949.JPG

Marinaded the Short ribs in a can of Chipotle sauce , vac sealed and placed in fridge while I over slept
Beans are a can of Bushs baked beans, brown sugar, left over carnitas/tamale meat, onion , mustard and pineapple habanero bbq sauce. 

_MG_0959.JPG

Quick pico of Green onion, Lime, Aji limon, Aji omni color, Criolla Sella, Bolsa de duce and sea salt. 

_MG_0952.JPG

_MG_0956.JPG

Meat on the smoker, now off to pick up the kids from the exwife, apparently she's in the hospital with blood clots in her uterus and lungs. 

_MG_0961.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back