• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bizarre MoA Scotch Bonnet

cone9

Extreme Member
This is one of my MoA Scotch Bonnet plants.  A while back it was somehow decapitated after which two branches grew from that point.  

The whole plant:

The two malformed branches are seen here growing at 11:00 and 6:30.  All the leaf structure on these two branches is deformed.  
There is nothing normal about any of them:

Here are a few more shots of the top growth:

This is normal growth of side branches coming from lower down the stem:

The malformed branches are now forming flower buds.  So far they look normal:

Some close up pics of bizarre leaves:

Certainly an interesting plant.  Only the top two branches are growing like this.  The rest of the plant is perfectly normal and diplaying healthy growth.

Anyone have thoughts on why this is growing like it is?

cone9 said:
Anyone have thoughts on why this is growing like it is?

Did you get a hot spell around the time this happened ?? to me the malformed growth looks like sun damage to the developing growth since the leaves were damaged when very tiny they look deformed as they grow larger but new growth after it gets past the damaged parts would go back to normal which it seems is happening from the flower and last couple leaves pic !

mine did that 2 years in a row , about a month &  1/2  ago . 2 years in a row .  friend at the nursey said looks like they might of gotten overspray from the farmers . i do live out in the country by the river there are fields . it can carry a mile .  tho that don't spray on windy days it doesn't take much to carry . he said it'll set them back a couple of weeks but they'll be fine . sure enough 2 weeks later and every things back to normal .     :onfire:

I have a dozen or so plants do that every year. I had 4 out of 38 do that and they are all in the same raised bed, none were side by side. I do not buy into the over spray and I to live close to farmers and they crop dust. I am surrounded by farm land. I do think if it was over spray all of my plants would be impacted.

Mites also do that damage and I have yet to find mites. The best or closest to anything I have found is this small type of spider that either causes or takes advantage of the folded leaves. I posted a picture in the creepy bug thread. All mine are normal now except maybe a few leaves.

STEVE954 said:
That is broadmite damage!

Hurry up and prune the damaged leaves before it's too late!

After you prune spray with soapy water.

Wash the soapy water off after 1 hour.

Repeat tomarrow.

Steve

"Looks like you hit that nail square on the head.  Thanks,"  said cone9 as he hurried out the door with scissors in hand!

I had this the last 2 years also but never before. I truly believe mine was herbicide drift cause we are about a quarter mile from the fields.. I was stumped until I noticed weeds in the garden showed the same signs. I could be wrong but it happens right after the farmer sprayed. Regardless of what it was pruning is the best way to go with it.

Back