• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Reapers have bad after taste

Growing my first carolina reapers this year. I have been growing peppers in this same spot for a few years with no problems but tried my first reaper and was very dissapointed. After taking a bite and enjoying the heat then came a horrible after taste almost like burnt plastic. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know what might have caused this.
Rick.

when the butchT first hit the market it had varying reviews with some liking the flavour and others describing a chemical, battery acid taste and many swore off the butchT, never to grow it again.

I've also heard the 7 Pot Barrackpore and Rennie described the same way. Everyone's' tastes are slightly different, but I think the superhots are more susceptible to harsh aftertastes. As a natural product, some will develop more flavors to balance the high cap content - but not all. 

butch " T " was kinda that way , but a year or so later , i broke some powder out  for my burgers . and  really  took notice of a whole different flavor ( a very desirable flavor ) will grow 2 more next season for sure . as for my reapers  :hot: ! but have a really decent flavor but only for a little bit . then POW !     :onfire:

teamcole said:
The only pest control i use is seven dust and fertilizer is 13-13-13
How recently did you use it? I'd rinse the peppers for a while before eating. Also, it it's been hot they might have a bit more of a waxy skin on them to keep from drying out.

Are they first round pods or further into the season ?... I find the slower growing first rounders always taste a little green and underdone.. compared to the faster growing and ripening ongoing rounds..

On taste: When I lower the heat by cutting out the placenta / seed area, I taste something I describe as like liquid smoke.  Not tons, but it is definitely there.  If I leave the seeds / placenta in there is too much heat to really notice.  Maybe we are describing the same taste but it hits folk differently.

Back