• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

drying first time dehydrating and making powder

So I receiving a nesco dehydrator in the mail. It will be my first time dehydrating peppers and also turning it into powder. My question is. What do y'all find works best to grind up the dried pods?

The_Tongue said:
So I receiving a nesco dehydrator in the mail. It will be my first time dehydrating peppers and also turning it into powder. My question is. What do y'all find works best to grind up the dried pods?

I used an old Braun coffee mill with pretty good results for a while.  Then I got this.  Can't say enough great about it.  I run pods for 4-5 days at lowest possible temps to hold as much color and taste as possible.  

Spice/coffee grinder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JFHHMN2/ref=pd_aw_sim_79_16?refRID=0F8F6RDATCDND66VTKYQ

I use a blender and mason jars to grind my peppers.  Works great at making a nice fine powder.  As for full vs cut up for dehydrating, I always cut mine in half lengthwise.  Of course if you aren't planning on grinding the peppers, it would be more aesthetically pleasing to have the peppers whole.  But cutting them in half will speed up the drying process a great deal.

compmodder26 said:
I use a blender and mason jars to grind my peppers.  Works great at making a nice fine powder.  As for full vs cut up for dehydrating, I always cut mine in half lengthwise.  Of course if you aren't planning on grinding the peppers, it would be more aesthetically pleasing to have the peppers whole.  But cutting them in half will speed up the drying process a great deal.
This is very true for many chinense and some thick walled annuum but for most all Thai and cayenne type whole works perfectly!

How you been doing man? 

The_Tongue said:
Do y'all dehydrate full pods or cut up pods?

totally dependent on size of pods.  smaller thin walled pods will dry fine whole.  larger thicker pods get halved or even quartered.  ideally you're shooting for everything to be roughly the same size when you put em in so they are dry in the same amount of time.  

compmodder26 said:

Ahh man.  I thought I was the first person to think of this.  A mason jar threads on perfectly.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
This is very true for many chinense and some thick walled annuum but for most all Thai and cayenne type whole works perfectly!

How you been doing man? 
Indeed you are correct sir.  I've been doing well, just extremely busy.  Work and life in general has kept me busy, need to go take some shots of the garden to post an update on my glog, since I've been woefully negligent of it.  I trust your plants are gearing up for a great powder season?

dan5505 said:

Ahh man.  I thought I was the first person to think of this.  A mason jar threads on perfectly.
It works great since you are grinding them in their final container.  Keeps the accidental macing to a minimum.  Jamie (romy6) is the one who clued me into using a blender first.

blender-1.jpg

I get a fine powder this way too. Also, make sure to dry on a lower setting. I think anything above 115F may result in color change/cooking. Depending on the peppers, mine take about 48-72 hours in a Nesco style dehydrator. Mine is usually loaded up to 9 trays, so I may need to go the Excalibur route this year. If drying whole peppers, you may want at least make a small knife cut to allow for better drying.

Just to add something:  If you decide the use the coffee grinder way make sure to seal up along it's edges as the fine powder will escape and potentially get on hands/eyes/and other body parts that will cause great pain.
I use a very slightly dampened paper towel around mine...collects the dust nicely when 1st popping the lid open.

Enjoy your peppers !

Back