• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

D3monic's such a sauce noob

I've tried to make sauces in the past with moderate success and failure. More often than not way too hot even for my taste.

I have a handful of fataliis and looking at making a nice yellow sauce. Fishing for ideas on some ingredients

I just got a PH probe so I can properly bottle the sauce. Not looking at a giant batch. Maybe 6 peppers worth at a medium heat. My last sauce was like 12 bhuts and a jar of applesauce as a cutter and what ever else I added like onion and what not. Was way too hot to consume.

Currently on my cell but later tonight I will dig through some threads on here.

If using ~6 peppers how many apples/jars applesauce and ect would you expect to use to acheive a small batch of medium hi heat sauce... Say around LDHS black label heat? Or should I plan on using less peppers? Only want maybe 5-6 woozies worth.

And ingredient suggestions, think I want to stay away from pineapple and mango.

Maybe, apples, garlic, salt, lime, (ginger?) onion ... Open to ideas just want to keep the yellow color.
Appreciate any insight

6 peppers doesn't seem like a heck of a lot for 6 bottles, when I make a sauce I like it to be pepper-based so you may want to find some low heat peppers for your base and then add the 6. Fruit-based have their place too if that is what you like but that is still not a lot of peppers.

D3monic said:
Open to ideas just want to keep the yellow color.
Appreciate any insight

Yellow bells and pineapple, possibly roasted/grilled, fataliis for heat, lime, cane vinegar, roasted garlic (possibly) and onion, coriander (ground), salt.

Just an idea.

I find coriander works really well with savory sauces that may also have a little fruit in them as well. Really well with onion, garlic, and roasted flavors etc. Not an over the top spice like allspice or clove really it's very herbaceous but pops.

easy ratio/basic recipe for ya D3:

1 lb peppers  (use a blend of mild/hot peppers)
1 oz onion
1 clove garlic
1-2 cups vinegar
1-2 cups water or fruit juice
1 tbsp honey (or sugar or agave nectar)
1 tsp salt

Bring everything to a boil in a saucepan.  Reduce heat, cover, simmer for 20-30 minutes till everything is nice and soft.  Hit it with the boat motor and blend it up really well.  Spoon a bit out and taste - adjust w more salt/sugar as needed.  Put through a food mill (if you want), bottle at temp and invert.  

D3monic said:
Boss actually makes things? I'd like to be put on that list as well.

The Hot Pepper said:
I make this site so you can make things that's all the making you need now make like a tree...

dbc9af61903897f9e55a0bdfb98251e75eb96fee589e223be8fe1325cc65da22.jpg

D3…this is a sauce I made last year….there is a thread on it.   If you do not want pineapples just replace with apples or whatever fruit you want.

9 oz Lemon Drop pepper
1 oz Yellow Bhut pepper
¼ oz fresh ginger
1 onion
1 cup pineapple
juice of 2 lemons
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups water
1 cup vinegar

1.    Chop peppers and onions, then sauté in olive oil for 5 minutes on high.
2.    Add water, ginger, honey, lemon and pineapple cook for 30 minutes or until water is evaporated.
3.    Take off heat and let cool before blending.  Add vinegar while blending.
4.    Run through food mill to remove seeds and skins.
5.    Heat to 190F then hot fill bottles.  

You can adjust peppers for desired heat.   I thought it was pretty good, probably makes 4-5 5 0z woozies.

Took a couple seasons for me to figure this out. When messin' with superhots for sauce you need a tasty sweet pepper to cut them with. My go to is jimmy nardello (i know not much help for a yellow sauce). Anyway what I'm saying is consider growing enough sweets in the colors you want, to cut supers for sauce.  That way with your cut you are maximizing your pepper flavor.  :P

Here's this too....foolio  :lol:   to lazy to find the copy on here to link. 

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipes/hotsauce_idx.html

Made the mistake of hitting walmart on the way home for a stick blender and some stuff. 

Only had one color option and not kitchen aid. was plain silver.... a little sad, can't remember what store it was I seen all the colors. Maybe target. 

Here's the peppers I'm going to use.

4 yummy snackling, 3 white bhuts, 6 yellow fatalii, Yellow bell, 5 Aji limon/pineapple and a 7pot yellow bs. 

_MG_1020.JPG

Chopped the hots and going into smoker with some seasalt, 2 cloves garlic and over applewood (no alder at wallyworld). 

_MG_1024.JPG

for other ingredients

1 honeycrisp apple

10 pineapple ground cherry tomatoes

the bell and snacklings

half a white onion

(still debating on ginger and coriander, may go well together)

2-3 limes. 

1T sugar

2/3 cup vinegar- I have white wine, rice and apple cider suggestion on which one?

hogleg said:
Took a couple seasons for me to figure this out. When messin' with superhots for sauce you need a tasty sweet pepper to cut them with. My go to is jimmy nardello (i know not much help for a yellow sauce). Anyway what I'm saying is consider growing enough sweets in the colors you want, to cut supers for sauce.  That way with your cut you are maximizing your pepper flavor.  :P

Here's this too....foolio  :lol:   to lazy to find the copy on here to link. 

http://www.pepperfool.com/recipe_home.html

Oh Fer Cryin' out loud it won't just link to the HOT SAUCE page. Nuh Gott Dammit!!

Maybe my amarillo , champion or urfa beiber would be a good choice as a cut in a red sauce. 

tctenten said:
I really like the ginger, but do not over do it. Too much and it will overwhelm the sauce.

I only put in about 1/2 tsp of fresh chopped

First Batch of sauce for the season

Fatalii Dream

Peppers all chopped and hots, garlic and seasalt smoked over applewood for 45 mins. 

IMG_3825.JPG

Added 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
3/4 cup water
1T sugar
3/4 lb  peppers
1/2  white onion
2 cloves of garlic (didn't blend up in the end so not much flavor from them)
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 T smoked pink seasalt
3 limes
1 honeycrisp apple

IMG_3828.JPG

IMG_3827.JPG

Boiled and stick blended

IMG_3830.JPG

Oops guess it's shelf stable....

IMG_3831.JPG

Guess I only had enough for 4, 5 oz woozies :(

IMG_3832.JPG

Yum! medium hot and sweet. Would be good on icecream for sure. 

_MG_1028.JPG

grantmichaels said:
Nice job. Does the low pH mean you don't have to "can" ?

Just means it's too acidic for nasties to form I believe...

I boiled the utensils and pulled the bottles out the boiling water and filled with boiling sauce one at a time then inverted so the boiling sauce killed any nasties that could be on the lids. Let them sit like that. Being hot it creates a vacuum and the bottles should be shelf stable though i'll probably still refrigerate until I give them to coworkers friday. 

Back