• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Roxa Powder?

Anyone ever make a powder from the roxa family? I got a bunch of Fidalga roxa i'm about to deseed and debating on freezing or dehydrating and making a powder. Just wondering if anyone has made a powder and if it was any good. Be neat if it kept the purple color. 

11218622_1183181311695723_1559429019555263919_n.jpg

grantmichaels said:
The cellular destruction probably favors stick blending, I guess ... I haven't made any sauce to date ...I made a bunch of powder, none of which was even 75% as good as JHP's ...

The thing that I find a little crazy, I make powders and flake and give it away because I buy JHP's. Same with sauces, I probably gave away 3 cases of sauce, yet I buy sauces that get recommended here.

Clearly my products are not in the same class as what I am buying, but most people ask me for more. I am going to be trying a bunch of different things this year, and freezing the peppers allows me to do it on my schedule.

grantmichaels said:
are people grinding to order?

I grind to make enough for about an 8oz batch - about enough for 12-15 of those sample packs I've sent you.  Don't really like doing larger quantities unless I'm making 4oz jars with air seals.

edit:  I know JHP dries whole and grinds to order.  

edit 2:  I've strung pods on fishing line and dried them in the spare bedroom in the window (south east sun) with the ceiling fan on low.  Very tough though - some got molds.  Air drying in the midwest is basically impossible.

SmokenFire said:

I grind to make enough for about an 8oz batch - about enough for 12-15 of those sample packs I've sent you.  Don't really like doing larger quantities unless I'm making 4oz jars with air seals.

edit:  I know JHP dries whole and grinds to order.  

edit 2:  I've strung pods on fishing line and dried them in the spare bedroom in the window (south east sun) with the ceiling fan on low.  Very tough though - some got molds.  Air drying in the midwest is basically impossible.
I do it with all thin walled peppers like thai's, etc. I would love to be able to dry some pubescens the natural way this year- still looking at ideas

D3monic said:
mine is pretty slow, I dry outside most the time and it's pretty humid. Takes about 12 hours. 

I have a couple nescos - round multiple tray ones.  I dry at the lowest setting (95 degrees) for 4-5 days for most pods.  Jerky takes considerably less time. 

SmokenFire said:

I have a couple nescos - round multiple tray ones.  I dry at the lowest setting (95 degrees) for 4-5 days for most pods.  Jerky takes considerably less time. 

I have a nesco as well though I don't think it has a temp setting, it's just turn on and walk away. I got it sitting on the back porch and turned on at 4:30 am. Hopefully it doesn't rain while i'm at work till 6pm. 

FreeportBum said:
I do it with all thin walled peppers like thai's, etc. I would love to be able to dry some pubescens the natural way this year- still looking at ideas
I dry all my thai's on a flyscreen inside, the gas heating kicking in every now and then isn't cycling directly on the peppers like a dehydrator, plus it produces dry air. My cayennes seem to go fine on there too.  Tried a couple of superhots on there and 1 in three went funky before drying out, so only use the dehydrator for these now. 

Back