• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Genemonger 2015 breeding season

Hi folks,

First time grow log, let me start with some details about the location:

I live in Wageningen, a place well known by many of you, not by name, but because it is where the CGN genebank of the Netherands is located.

I'm a low budget grower, renting a community garden of 200m2, of which little over half is used for peppers. The location has a mixed sandy/loamy soil and drains (too) well since it is located slightly uphill. Since the gardens are located in a protected landscape, we are not allowed to put massive greenhouses there, something that has been kind of a hindrance to me. Ripening peppers in the open field can be very difficult if the late season is too wet. From october onward freezing can kill of whatever remains in the field and greenhouse.

I have two small greenhouses in which I can cramp about 50 plants in total, the open field contains about 300 plants in total.

This season I am growing many varieties. A few superhots like Trinidad Moruga scorpion, red bhut and caramel bhut. But mainly normal heat level baccatums, chinenses and annuums. I think the number of varieties totals about 60. Apart from that I have my own crosses and lines which have been under development since 2010. I started with only a few crosses in hot and bell peppers, but this quickly expanded over generations.

My 2010 generation bell peppers are now nearly stabilized (F6), I am planning to produce some test-crosses for hybrid development this year. With the hot peppers I often mix more than two parents over the generations, so these lines are not yet stable.

This year started well, with good germination rates and fast development of the seedlings (sown end of february). About 1400 seedlings were produced, of which about 650 were transplanted into smaller pots (march-april). This is when things started going wrong. Since this season I produced almost triple the plants that I did before, I decided to get some cheap potting soil, which turned out to be nearly disastrous. Growth was retarded (so was I) and yellowing occurred.

I also killed of small part of my plants by hardening them off too harshly (again due to the large numbers). During transplantation into the field (which took a while) aphids started to attack (not in large numbers, but a few in almost every plant). Normally natural predators take care of it quite quickly, but this season was quite cold, and the predators started late. Last year I sprayed, and next year I might do that again, because leaf damage was quite severe.

The cold spring and all other disadvantages that the plants endured, made them start slowly. However, now, early july, the plants are starting to flower and set fruit, and they seem to have recovered reasonably well.

I will now try to embed some pictures.

Good luck on the rest of your season.It certainly sounds like you've been on a rollercoaster ride this season.AT LEAST THINGS SOUND LIKE YOU AND YOUR PLANTS ARE DOING WELL!!!

Foto_17_01_15_15_32_02.jpg

Some early prepping of the garden january 2015

Foto_14_04_15_11_16_07.jpg

April 2015, garden mostly overturned, my son is doing the ploughing

Foto_16_04_15_20_25_16.jpg

Seedlings mid april 2015 more than ready for transplant

Foto_25_05_15_17_28_50.jpg

May 25 2015, most seedlings are in the field (bell peppers in front section, hot peppers in back section) Most plants, 95% or so, in the open field are breeding lines.  

Foto_3_06_15_20_15_38.jpg

3rd of june 2015, the potatoes and peas are doing fine, bell peppers are in the back, still tiny and still suffering.

Foto_15_06_15_21_19_14.jpg

June 15th 2015 overview

Foto_29_06_15_22_06_26.jpg

June 29 2015 overview

Foto_5_07_15_08_36_00.jpg

July 5 2015, Just before i started pruning. The plants had made a lot of adventitious shoots, due to the high levels of stress and aphids. 

Foto_9_07_15_21_39_36.jpg

July 9 2015, overview, after some rain and after the pruning. 

Foto_9_07_15_21_37_53.jpg

July 9 2015 hot pepper section open field

Foto_9_07_15_21_38_31.jpg

July 9 2015 Bell pepper section open field

Foto_9_07_15_21_08_50.jpg

July 9 2015, cramped hot pepper varieties greenhouse

Foto_9_07_15_21_19_06.jpg

July 9, cramped hot pepper breeding lines greenhouse Notice that aphid damage is almost non-existent on greenhouse plants. 

I'll keep the topic updated!

mpicante said:
Good luck on the rest of your season.It certainly sounds like you've been on a rollercoaster ride this season.AT LEAST THINGS SOUND LIKE YOU AND YOUR PLANTS ARE DOING WELL!!!

lol thanks, i tried to get pictures embedded from dropbox and google photos. After many failures, decided to host them on postimage.org...

Genemonger said:
Foto_17_01_15_15_32_02.jpg

Some early prepping of the garden january 2015

Foto_14_04_15_11_16_07.jpg

April 2015, garden mostly overturned, my son is doing the ploughing

Foto_16_04_15_20_25_16.jpg

Seedlings mid april 2015 more than ready for transplant

Foto_25_05_15_17_28_50.jpg

May 25 2015, most seedlings are in the field (bell peppers in front section, hot peppers in back section) Most plants, 95% or so, in the open field are breeding lines.  

Foto_3_06_15_20_15_38.jpg

3rd of june 2015, the potatoes and peas are doing fine, bell peppers are in the back, still tiny and still suffering.

Foto_15_06_15_21_19_14.jpg

June 15th 2015 overview

Foto_29_06_15_22_06_26.jpg

June 29 2015 overview

Foto_5_07_15_08_36_00.jpg

July 5 2015, Just before i started pruning. The plants had made a lot of adventitious shoots, due to the high levels of stress and aphids. 

Foto_9_07_15_21_39_36.jpg

July 9 2015, overview, after some rain and after the pruning. 

Foto_9_07_15_21_37_53.jpg

July 9 2015 hot pepper section open field

Foto_9_07_15_21_38_31.jpg

July 9 2015 Bell pepper section open field

Foto_9_07_15_21_08_50.jpg

July 9 2015, cramped hot pepper varieties greenhouse

Foto_9_07_15_21_19_06.jpg

July 9, cramped hot pepper breeding lines greenhouse Notice that aphid damage is almost non-existent on greenhouse plants. 

I'll keep the topic updated!

lol thanks, i tried to get pictures embedded from dropbox and google photos. After many failures, decided to host them on postimage.org...
Very nice&indeed.So what crosses have&you made thus far?and what were your thoughts or impressions?

Here are some pictures of last season (2014), I am not going to detail the parental varieties used (I blanked them out), but I will show some of the stuff that can happen when you do breeding. 

First off, this shiny little bell pepper, about half the size of a normal bell. It looks quite normal, but it is actually a hot pepper (although below jalapeno level). I never noticed anything wrong in this Bell pepper background, until 2 years ago, when I started getting different colors and shapes. Apparantly Somewhere early in the breeding cycle, cross pollination had occured with a hot pepper. I now have several types segregating including red bells, yellow bells, long bells, hot bells and hot pointy types from the same background. 

2014_08_31_16_52_17_HDR.jpg

The harvest of above plant : 

2014_09_21_09_37_14.jpg

A cross where both bell and pointed were mixed. One of the F2s couldn't decide what it was and produced both pointed and bell type sweet peppers. (ok, only the first fruits are pointed, rest is more or less long Bell) : 

2014_09_21_15_50_47.jpg

The Fruits of above plant :

2014_09_30_20_40_08.jpg

Some F2 phenotypes of a hot pepper cross involving the same three parents

1:
2014_10_22_20_34_03.jpg

2:

2014_09_23_22_09_51.jpg

3: 

2014_10_24_16_49_21.jpg

Finally, an example of what we would call transgressive segregation, likely to be caused by epistasis or additivity :  basically a phenotype which is not as strong in any of the parents but shows in its offspring.
The plant below has no parents that are very hairy, yet has very furry stems. (four different parents were used)

2014_08_31_14_30_01.jpg

In that same background I found an extremely fast ripening line, this one had fruits with often severe deformations and I have never seen anything ripen as fast. Unfortunately, none of the seeds from this plant germinated (even though they looked ok on the exterior). The fruits probably ripened too fast for the seeds to develop properly (some kind of emergency ripening due to stress).  

A small update on the garden: 

So far the weather has been far from normal. We've had few normal days, but many days that were either too hot, too windy or too wet. The first fruits are setting, and in a few weeks I'll be able to get a better picture on the performance of the material.

So far I have been surprised with the phenotypic variation in many of my crosses, almost to the point of thinking that outcrossing must have occurred. 
Here is a picture of about 12 plants which should be an F3 progeny derived from an F2 plant which was created using 4 different parents (AxB * CxD)->Self1->Self2 generation. There is quite some variation there, late flowering, early flowering, robust vs small and skinny plants, anthocyanin and non-anthocyanin. 

Foto_15_07_15_20_37_34.jpg

Next a picture of my friends the ants, every year they manage to destroy at least one of my plants, here is the first victim: 

Foto_22_07_15_20_21_18.jpg

Taking time to deweed the garden and maintain the peppers properly is hard when many other things also scream for attention. Today and yesterday, the potatoes were screaming for attention, so I had to harvest before even more heavy rainfall would finish them off in a late blight inferno. 

Foto_26_07_15_11_41_58.jpg

final harvest of one variety : (two 5 meter rows)
Foto_26_07_15_15_20_51.jpg

Finally, I had some time to setup selfings in my bell peppers (first priority since they take longest to ripen), this year I am taking no risk and using a new method: simply covering part of the plant in insect free organza bags. I might have to get bigger bags though, these I had spare from work. 

Foto_26_07_15_16_44_56.jpg

Hopefully more in a few weeks time!

Genemonger

Did some cleaning up (had a lot of help from my uncle), removed a ton of weeds, and had to straighten plants that had fallen down due to a summer storm. So far the season is still lagging behind on last year. Hopefully I will get some stuff to ripen..

Here's an overview of the open field trials (front bell peppers, back hot peppers)

Foto_2_08_15_17_07_35.jpg

Here a closer view on part of the hot pepper section :

Foto_2_08_15_17_09_00.jpg

Here's an interesting hot pepper line (I like it when they are shiny). Shape is quite nice if you like a rustic look, and bad if you are a professional grower :). It's heat level should be around jalapeno level.

Foto_3_08_15_20_29_48.jpg

Here's a picture of a very tall open plant, (long internodes, small leaves). The peppers aren't fully grown yet. Quite some anthocyanin coloration (Which I do not like..)

Foto_5_08_15_20_30_35.jpg

That's it for now, these pics were from last week (beginning of august up to a few days ago).

Another update, this time more fruits!

First off, some sweet peppers. These are growing in a large greenhouse at my uncle, the quality is much better compared to my home garden. 

IMG_1211.jpg

This is a good F6 line of pointed sweet peppers

IMG_1217.jpg

My best F6 Bell Pepper line

IMG_1293.jpg

An unstable F3 line derived from a four-way cross. Note that none of the parents are purple, only slight stem discoloration on two of the parents. This one is very gnarly compared to its siblings. 

IMG_1294.jpg

A more smooth F3 line derived from the same cross as the previous discolored one. Doesnt have the same shine though. 

IMG_1296.jpg

A large shiny, semi thick walled F3 line from still the same four-way cross as the previous two. This one is less productive, but the peppers are larger. 

IMG_1298.jpg

A large fruited BC1S1 line with half its ancestry in common with the previous three. I think this one will be quite nice once ripe.. fingers crossed.

IMG_1299.jpg

A sibling of the previous one, fairly large fruited, shiny, very productive. 

IMG_1302.jpg

A light green cayenne type F3 line. This one is derived from the same original four-way cross as the first three pictures, but a different progeny. 

IMG_1304.jpg

Purple fruited line. Grown in the open field at my garden. It is a sibling of the first three peppers. 

IMG_1308.jpg

Purpleish flowers. interestingly the fruits of this plant only have patchy purple coloration. 

I am not such a big fan of all the purple stuff going on, but somehow this trait has become prominent in some progeny of my severely mixed backgrounds. Otherwise I am quite happy with progress so far, however the health of the pepper plants grown in the field is not so fantastic.

Back