• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Sous Vide and Fiery Foods

I figured that I would just start a sous vide thread since I've been using the immersion circulator like crazy. It's no wonder that top chefs throughout the world are using this technique. The textures and flavors are that come out are amazing. Precision temperature cooking makes for predicable and repeatable results. It's great for infusing spices and herbs into foods as they're vacuum sealed inside.

If you're interested in trying it and don't want to buy any expensive equipment, all you need is a thermometer, a spare cooler and a ziplock freezer bag. This method works great for fish or tender cuts of beef. For fish heat the water to 125-130 degrees F and pour into the cooler. Place your fish in a ziplock bag and using the water immersion technique leave the top of the bag open while you submerge the fish so that the water pressure forces the air out of the bag. Once the air is out and you're nearing the top of the bag, close it up and clip it or tape it down to the side of the cooler and close the lid. For beef try water at 129 F (rare), 136 F(med rare), 140-150 F (medium to well). Sear in a very hot pan, or finish under a very hot broiler or grill.

Here's a few things I've done with it and I welcome anyone else's experiences, opinions, or ideas. 

Jamaican Jerk Turkey Breast with 'Rice and Peas' and Fried Plantains

7DtbvDp.jpg

Miso Tilefish with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms

GVVfQKl.jpg

Ribeye with the Perfect Egg Yolk
vc0OVwi.jpg

XOc7aZb.jpg

I'm using the first generation Anova. I love it. 

grantmichaels said:
Oh, cool ... congrats!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone does in the next couple of months ...

So, did you separate the yolks and place them in oil in a kind of bain-marie there? ...

I haven't done the yolk alone yet ...
Yeah, I separated them. They're awesome. The temperature in the picture is lower than I cooked them at; I had just put them in the bath and turned up heat. They should cook at 145F for an hour or two.  

I see ...

I think I've done whole eggs 145F for 1 hour, and once for 70m ... and I've done them in between 13 and 15m at 167F, depending on the number in the bath ...

The last time I cooked them the 167F way, the whites stuck to the inside of the shell a little bit, though ...

Mostly I have been using the zip-loc's with the hand-pump.

I have a crappy, broken (dropped) FoodSaver style vacuum thing that I despise, and then I have a VacMaster chamber vac that I rarely roll out ... basically never, so far.

oldsalty said:
Sous vide ribs!!!!!!!!!!! No smoke???????? I can't breath losing focus say it isn't so.
attachicon.gif
meatwad-albums-darth-tater-picture67118-a.jpeg :)

I know, I know. If only I had the means to smoke em. I live in an apartment and they don't allow them on the balcony. I added ghost chile sauce to the molasses for this, but I think adding some smoked chile sauce might help impart a little more of that flavor. Gotta just work with what I've got. 

Deathtosnails said:
Looks tasty.  What's the rub? Easy to add smoke post cook or cold smoke before. 

What vacuum system are y'all using?

Rub is an onion and bulb of garlic sliced thin and burned black, hot paprika, cumin, yellow mustard seed, black pepper, celery seed, salt, and a little powdered mace. All ground and mixed. Since I don't have access to a smoker, the burned onion and garlic add a little smoke flavor.  

I'm using a foodsaver V3825. It's got gentle settings which are great for fish and a pulse function that allows me to extract as much air as I want. 

For your smokiness needs, you could pre-sear chilled ribs in some bacon fat (Benton's, in particular), then bag and sous vide ...

I find bacon fat is a great way to bring the outside flavors to my indoor food =)

Just got this today. 

Vacpro sealer

foodpreparation_alivac2_1_med.jpg

Two Scotch Fillets.  Nice marbling.
P7152482_zpsu6hsuayv.jpg

Tried out the new vac.  One steak for tonight and one for Saturday under real sous vide at 54 C.
P7152485_zpsti8tzceu.jpg

Found my chef's instant read thermometer and rediscovered (hidden in plain sight) my 10L (2.6 gallons) esky (cooler).  After hours of online searching :banghead: for a water bath container just the right dimensions and frood grade temp stable plastic.  This thing is perfect. Trying this out before my Anova immersion circulator arrives on Friday.  The cooler will be my semi perm water bath.
P7152491_zpsjrrxlbu6.jpg

Bonus.  My hot water outta the tap is 54 C (129.2 F).  Medium rare from the get go!
P7152490_zpsimnenxph.jpg

Back