• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Tomato Plants

was in my garden today and the old ugly tomato plants are starting there change i have one tomato about a 3 lber starting to turn WOW i can't wait i have everyones name and addy so it should not be to long now !!!!!!!:drooling::pray::D

My tomatoes have exploded in growth - blooms and fruits. At the fair this week, several gardeners were talking about the lack of fruits - too many blooms to count but no tomatoes. Part of the area is suffereing from a 'bee drought' - no honeybees to pollinate the flowers.

This year, my plants are staked and if half the tomatoes ripen and are useable, I probably have at least two bushels waiting - and that's just off four plants. I have about 50 plants total!!!

Mike

i've only gotten 2 usable fruits off our one lone mater. hardly any buds. hardly any flowers. got a bunch new flowers now, but not much of a producer.

My tomatoes have exploded with both growth and fruit. It seems like everyday, I'm having to stake new growth. Plus the plants are loaded! I hove they all rippen, it will be a good sauce year if so.

Mine havent done crap, I planted four celebrities, they have fist size tomaotoes and none of them will turn. One bunch got ate up by what I assumed were worms two days after I sprayed them with sevin. Nest year I will put a little more time into them maybe.

I had the chance to see some heirloom tomatoe plants this weekend and pick some toms, too. All of the plants were great producers and looked impressive and I don't need to tell you growers how delicious their fruits were! Makes it even harder to wait for next season because I won't get that chance again this year!

Congrats on one giant tom MrMulcher!!!

Chiliac said:
I had the chance to see some heirloom tomatoe plants this weekend and pick some toms, too. All of the plants were great producers and looked impressive and I don't need to tell you growers how delicious their fruits were! Makes it even harder to wait for next season because I won't get that chance again this year!

Congrats on one giant tom MrMulcher!!!

Chiliac,

I got the vast majority of my seeds from www.rareseeds.com. Good pricing, number of seeds, germination rates and lots of heirloom varieties. He also sells lot of peppers, eggplants and cucumber seeds, plus other veggies.

Mike

hmmmm munching on a cheese pizza that i layered with some just picked tomatoes from the garden as I'm reading this post. My tomatoes are going good. Planning on canning whole tomatoes this afternoon. Already made two batches of salsa (10 pints each) this week using my paste tomatoes (Roma, Opalka, German Howard) and one of those batches got a Bhut Jolokia added to it. There are others around here that are complaining about their tomatoes not ripening. It is late for tomatoes this year becuase of the cold wet spring. Been eating BLT's for the past two weeks using German Red Strawberry tomatoes (that variety is the BEST for flavor in BLT's). Also have been eating plenty of cherry tomatoes of all different colors (Snow White, Black Cherry, Sun Sugar-orange, Sungold -orange, and Grapette- red). Sorry, just had to brag. lol

But I do have problems....blight! I deal with it every year.

wordwiz said:
Chiliac,

I got the vast majority of my seeds from www.rareseeds.com. Good pricing, number of seeds, germination rates and lots of heirloom varieties. He also sells lot of peppers, eggplants and cucumber seeds, plus other veggies.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I will check their site out. I am always happy to find out about new sources for good seeds!

Hiya Chilliac growing some san marzano/moneymaker/Tumbling toms..any chance of recommending a couple of varieties for next year, a beef steak or your favorite tasting variety's :)

well to my dismay i rushed home from work to take a photo of my Prized tomato and guess what ...... my wife had sliced it up for dinner so i have to wait till the others mature so you can see what i mean by a huge ass tomato there are green ones that are getting simply unreal in size... i think i will have more that will be bigger you wait i will show.....

mrmulcher said:
well to my dismay i rushed home from work to take a photo of my Prized tomato and guess what ...... my wife had sliced it up for dinner so i have to wait till the others mature so you can see what i mean by a huge ass tomato there are green ones that are getting simply unreal in size... i think i will have more that will be bigger you wait i will show.....

What variety are you growing to get that size?

Dale

they are called old ugly some man in 70's gave me the seed told me him and his father bred these tomatoes over the years they were Botianst at a university

Back