• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

water self-watering planter indoors?

I've been reading about the DIY tote self-watering boxes, one example here.
I have 3 types of dwarf tomatoes, habanero and black jalapeno currently germinating.

After germination, then solo cups, you think a self-watering tote would be OK indoors?
Ugh, the cost of Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil to fill that tote up! lol

thanks.

I planned on fox farm grow big fert.

Would it get added to the reservoir?
Any other nutrients added to soil?

If you can't tell I'm a 100% newb.

Are you going to put all your plants in one or two totes?  If not, 5 gallon buckets work well also and they only take 5 gallons of soil.  The only thing to watch out for indoors with either of these options is to make sure you have a waterproof drip tray or saucer to catch what ever comes out of the overflow holes.

I was thinking 2 totes, 2 plants in each, then 5gal buckets for the rest, 1 plant in each.
I'm ordering a 4 ft 6 lamp t5 flourscent light; 6500K bulbs.

pecker88 said:
I planned on fox farm grow big fert.

Would it get added to the reservoir?
Any other nutrients added to soil?

If you can't tell I'm a 100% newb.
yes, add to the pipe sticking up that goes to ur reservoir. 
nope

how many plants do you plan on having? i don't think that light will be big enough once they start getting bigger. You should probably invest in a HID light(CDM,HPS,MH) or a few LEDs like marshydro.

juanitos said:
yes, add to the pipe sticking up that goes to ur reservoir. 
nope

how many plants do you plan on having? i don't think that light will be big enough once they start getting bigger. You should probably invest in a HID light(CDM,HPS,MH) or a few LEDs like marshydro.

I'll have a minimum of 6 plants, maybe a few more.
Grow area platforms are 4'x3' and 2'x2'. The front and top are wide open, all other sides covered with whtie panneling.

I was wondering about light, I haven't ordered anything yet, and want to have enough.
Fruiting will take place during cold months, and my main concern is light & heat.

will 1000w will be enough for 6 to 8 plants?
What about this HID setup from Apollo, seems like a great deal.

HPS bulb for veg, then switch to MH for flowering?

The 1000W HID light should be good for around 50-65 sq ft.  But that depends on the reflector hood you buy.   If you target a 4 X 6 to 8 foot size area, you should be OK
I have heard that pepper plants do not need to be switched from MH to HPS like some other plants.

I have only used MH lights early in the year to get my plants ready for outside, so have never taken them all the way to fruiting, so my experience is pretty limited in that respect.

I got 6 of the self-watering buckets setup inside. This pic is a few days old (I'll update pics later tonight).
IMG_20150826_203053_510.jpg

The reservoir buckets are all connected together with 1/4 tubing.
They are fed by a 5gal reservoir; water level is maintained with a float valve in a bucket.

Mixed up 5gal of full-strength hydroponic nutrients:
12g - Masterblend 4-18-38
12g - Calcium Nitrate
6g   - Magnesium Sulfate

Since the 4 bucket system was empty, it drained my 5 gal of nutrient solution. I then added 1/2 strength solution and it almost drained that.

Now, 1 week later my plants look like they have fert. burn. Lower tom leaves look leatherly and crispy on the edges.
Hab and Jal. have twisted new foliage. All plant leaves curling downward.

Does anyone have suggestions as to continuous feeding strength of above hydro solution?
1/2, 1/4 strength?

Given the system is closed (no overflow holes in bucket) I think it would be easiest to add nuts. every time I fill the reservoir.

I grow in lots of totes, but i find them to be better for tomatoes than for peppers. peppers like to alternate wet and dry so their roots seek out more soil, but with the self watering container, your soil wicks up the water until the reservoir is depleted. You could always water less, but still

Updated pics; the group shot above was 1 week ago.
water in the buckets is around 680 ppm
pH is 6.8
Only water source used was RO, which has pH of 6.5, 78ppm

I turned off the supply of nute water, I plan on emptying the buckets this weekend and replacing with fresh water; no nutes.

DSC01786.JPG

Orange Hab:
DSC01791.JPG

Purple Jalapeno. At night it looks especially droopy, by morning after 8hrs dark it's perked up.
DSC01792.JPG

New Big Dwarf Tom
DSC01790.JPG

Totem Tom
DSC01793.JPG

Back