• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Naga and Bhut and Bih Question

Did you all notice that Nagas (at least the ones I have gotten directly from people in Bangladesh) don't go from the green to orange to red stage?

They go green to bright red relatively quickly.

On the other hand, Bhut and Bih Jolokia are much different. In colder climates, getting them from green to orange to red is not easy. In Texas, not an issue. This is very interesting to me.

It shows these are different. I definitely think Bih is a much different variety than Nagas the more I grow them. Both are ridiculously hot.

Chris

Yes I did notice this. I hope to solve this mystery during my upcoming Indian chili-hunting trip which is only a few months away. :)

I can picture you coming back with a 55 gallon garbage bag full of pods. :) I hope the adventure goes well and you find all kinds of neat stuff AND they let you out of there with them. :)

Chris

cmpman1974 said:
Did you all notice that Nagas (at least the ones I have gotten directly from people in Bangladesh) don't go from the green to orange to red stage?

They go green to bright red relatively quickly.

On the other hand, Bhut and Bih Jolokia are much different. In colder climates, getting them from green to orange to red is not easy. In Texas, not an issue. This is very interesting to me.

It shows these are different. I definitely think Bih is a much different variety than Nagas the more I grow them. Both are ridiculously hot.

Chris

definetly noticed that on the bhutt/bih jolokia as for the morichs..Dorset/Naga my cousin has exprienced both extremes he has some dorset that goes green orange red and the naga morich (bangladesh sourced) where waiting to see what the african nagas do (south african/capetown) and looking like bhutts at the minute. :)

I remember last year, lots of people on CG complained about how long it took for their nagas to go from orange to red. I had the orange stage mostly only on my early pods

Here's an early naga ripening(April 2007)

and Here's a more recent naga morich(Aug 2008)

Back