46 replies to this topic

#1 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

Found an old school New Braunfels offset on the craiglist for a hundred bucks in what seems like nice condition from the pics. Been up for three weeks too, bet I can talk them down to $80. Gotta get rid of the wood with copper green or what ever the eff that is, and I'm not above sanding and painting.

Should I pull the trigger on this??? Opinions please

http://sfbay.craigsl...5123458396.html

Edited by hogleg, 15 July 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 oldsalty

oldsalty

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,087 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:09 PM

Looks good offer him 40$ bet he jumps! :)

Looks good offer him 40$ bet he jumps! :)

I've had that same model worked great but you can definitely get him down

The meek shall inherit the earth but the brave shall inherit the sea.

#3 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,914 posts
  • aka:moruga welder

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

most definitely  not 100 ,  like ol' salty said offer 40 , leave him your number tell him to call if he changes his mind . don't act anxious wait him out . he'll call      :onfire:

#4 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,738 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Too much $ for it but got for it for 40 offer, walk away at 50.

#5 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hmm, I didn't think the price was that bad for the old school heavy steel (3/16 I think) I've seen refurbished NB's going for $250 around here. But yea, maybe I should start lower with my initial offer.

#6 geeme

geeme

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

The back edge of the lid is rusty and also the firebox. Definitely not more than $50.

Vision w/o action is merely a dream. Action w/o vision just passes time. Vision with action can change the world. - JOEL BARKER

#7 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,738 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

Yeah it's more than surface rust look on the inside where the firebox attaches right above the grate, above that is rot. It also doesn't look like thick steel to me.

#8 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

Yeah it's more than surface rust look on the inside where the firebox attaches right above the grate, above that is rot. It also doesn't look like thick steel to me.

Look at the weld in the second to last picture, it's kinda thick. Its definitely not that stamped garbage. I think that rust will come off with the wire wheel on the drill. I had a decent offset a long time ago and I've been wanting one again since I became a member here, and seen all the real deal Q here. But alas I'm a cheap basterd and don't feel like spending more than a hundred bucks. There is plenty of those BS stamped Char-Broils in the $50-$100 buck range (some in brand new condition) But I would rather get an older thick welded one and fix it up I'm thinkin'

Also lookin' at this contraption to just throw on my Weber, But I don't like that you have to take it apart to access the fire.

http://sfbay.craigsl...5117769469.html

DAMMIT! I'm gonna get a real smoker before the summer is over!...just not sure what i'm gettin' yet i guess?  :high:

#9 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,738 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:40 PM

Do your thing man. Remember don't paint the inside! LOL. Strip/sand it burn it out and season it with cooks.

PS. That model is referred to as the NBBD for short, it's the New Braunfels Black Diamond. 

#10 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,519 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:13 PM

Buy it for $80 right now.  walk up on him with 4 twenties and say "I'm the guy who should take this home today."

And then cook on it quick to get yer mojo flowing.  Like wings or sausages - something quick and dirty..

edit: MINE.  

Edited by SmokenFire, 15 July 2015 - 11:14 PM.

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#11 midwestchilehead

midwestchilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

Pay him $20 for showing to you, walk away and go buy you a WSM 22.5 for $400. You will be much happier :-)

Calvin's 2.0 powder, New Mexico chile seeds, other varieties and some superhots! Grow your own and taste the difference!
https://www.midwestchileheads.com

#12 Roguejim

Roguejim

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • aka:Roguejim

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:39 PM

Pay him $20 for showing to you, walk away and go buy you a WSM 22.5 for $400. You will be much happier :-)

John, what do you think of that riser for a 22.5" kettle? Any negatives? How would it compare with a WSM?

I must say I'm a little taken aback at your exuberance over the WSM in light of your "burning bush" experience with Franklin's brisket. You'll never cook like Franklin, using a WSM!:)

Edited by Roguejim, 16 July 2015 - 03:00 PM.

"The Pacific Northwest GLOG is the place to be."

#13 midwestchilehead

midwestchilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 06:46 AM

I have never used the riser, so can''t really comment on that.

And I don't specifically recall the "burning bush" experience, but the last brisket I burned up was on my komado grill, not my WSM. And the WSM comes suprisingly close on Franklin-style brisket. It doesn't have quite the bark development that you get from a high air flow offset, but I've never really tanked a brisket on my WSM.

John, what do you think of that riser for a 22.5" kettle? Any negatives? How would it compare with a WSM?

I must say I'm a little taken aback at your exuberance over the WSM in light of your "burning bush" experience with Franklin's brisket. You'll never cook like Franklin, using a WSM! :)

Calvin's 2.0 powder, New Mexico chile seeds, other varieties and some superhots! Grow your own and taste the difference!

#14 Roguejim

Roguejim

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

I have never used the riser, so can''t really comment on that.

And I don't specifically recall the "burning bush" experience, but the last brisket I burned up was on my komado grill, not my WSM. And the WSM comes suprisingly close on Franklin-style brisket. It doesn't have quite the bark development that you get from a high air flow offset, but I've never really tanked a brisket on my WSM.

What I was joking at was how you described eating Franklin's brisket as a "religious experience...", hence, my reference to the " burning bush". No matter. I think the WSM is the way to go rather than throwing $$ at a kettle, trying to turn it into a poor man's WSM.

#15 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,738 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:37 PM

Didja get it?

#16 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,010 posts
  • aka:grantmichaels
  • (x5)

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

What I was joking at was how you described eating Franklin's brisket as a "religious experience...", hence, my reference to the " burning bush". No matter. I think the WSM is the way to go rather than throwing $$ at a kettle, trying to turn it into a poor man's WSM.

I can tell you frank experience that smoking in the kettle is lossy ...

It works, well even, but you waste a lot of fuel.

The Deep State

#17 Roguejim

Roguejim

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

Didja get it?

Saving $$ towards a 22.5" WSM.

Edited by Roguejim, 17 July 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#18 midwestchilehead

midwestchilehead

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Gotcha ;-) It makes much more sense now. I'm a little slow on the uptake today. And yeah, I tend to agree, you can smoke on a kettle or a modified kettle, but the WSM is easier/better.

And the offset pictured above is fine and I'm sure will turn out some good Q, but the pitmaster will definitely need to learn fire control and be ready to babysit it and use lots of wood.

#19 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,738 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Saving $$ towards a 22.5" WSM.

Talking to pigfoot.

#20 Roguejim

Roguejim

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

I can tell you frank experience that smoking in the kettle is lossy ...

It works, well even, but you waste a lot of fuel.

You seem a bit confused in your point. Kettle smoking is "lossy" (lousy?), but you can also smoke "well" with one...head scratcher for me. How does it waste fuel? You're the first kettle naysayer I've come across. Or maybe I'm confused? ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests