• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Should I get this smoker?

Found an old school New Braunfels offset on the craiglist for a hundred bucks in what seems like nice condition from the pics. Been up for three weeks too, bet I can talk them down to $80. Gotta get rid of the wood with copper green or what ever the eff that is, and I'm not above sanding and painting.

Should I pull the trigger on this??? Opinions please

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/grd/5123458396.html

Hmm, I didn't think the price was that bad for the old school heavy steel (3/16 I think) I've seen refurbished NB's going for $250 around here. But yea, maybe I should start lower with my initial offer.

Yeah it's more than surface rust look on the inside where the firebox attaches right above the grate, above that is rot. It also doesn't look like thick steel to me.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah it's more than surface rust look on the inside where the firebox attaches right above the grate, above that is rot. It also doesn't look like thick steel to me.

Look at the weld in the second to last picture, it's kinda thick. Its definitely not that stamped garbage. I think that rust will come off with the wire wheel on the drill. I had a decent offset a long time ago and I've been wanting one again since I became a member here, and seen all the real deal Q here. But alas I'm a cheap basterd and don't feel like spending more than a hundred bucks. There is plenty of those BS stamped Char-Broils in the $50-$100 buck range (some in brand new condition) But I would rather get an older thick welded one and fix it up I'm thinkin'

Also lookin' at this contraption to just throw on my Weber, But I don't like that you have to take it apart to access the fire.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/for/5117769469.html

DAMMIT! I'm gonna get a real smoker before the summer is over!...just not sure what i'm gettin' yet i guess?  :high:

Do your thing man. Remember don't paint the inside! LOL. Strip/sand it burn it out and season it with cooks.

PS. That model is referred to as the NBBD for short, it's the New Braunfels Black Diamond. 

Buy it for $80 right now.  walk up on him with 4 twenties and say "I'm the guy who should take this home today."

And then cook on it quick to get yer mojo flowing.  Like wings or sausages - something quick and dirty..

edit: MINE.  

Pay him $20 for showing to you, walk away and go buy you a WSM 22.5 for $400. You will be much happier :-)

midwestchilehead said:
Pay him $20 for showing to you, walk away and go buy you a WSM 22.5 for $400. You will be much happier :-)
John, what do you think of that riser for a 22.5" kettle? Any negatives? How would it compare with a WSM?

I must say I'm a little taken aback at your exuberance over the WSM in light of your "burning bush" experience with Franklin's brisket. You'll never cook like Franklin, using a WSM!:)

I have never used the riser, so can''t really comment on that.

And I don't specifically recall the "burning bush" experience, but the last brisket I burned up was on my komado grill, not my WSM. And the WSM comes suprisingly close on Franklin-style brisket. It doesn't have quite the bark development that you get from a high air flow offset, but I've never really tanked a brisket on my WSM.

Roguejim said:
John, what do you think of that riser for a 22.5" kettle? Any negatives? How would it compare with a WSM?

I must say I'm a little taken aback at your exuberance over the WSM in light of your "burning bush" experience with Franklin's brisket. You'll never cook like Franklin, using a WSM! :)

midwestchilehead said:
I have never used the riser, so can''t really comment on that.

And I don't specifically recall the "burning bush" experience, but the last brisket I burned up was on my komado grill, not my WSM. And the WSM comes suprisingly close on Franklin-style brisket. It doesn't have quite the bark development that you get from a high air flow offset, but I've never really tanked a brisket on my WSM.
What I was joking at was how you described eating Franklin's brisket as a "religious experience...", hence, my reference to the " burning bush". No matter. I think the WSM is the way to go rather than throwing $$ at a kettle, trying to turn it into a poor man's WSM.

Roguejim said:
What I was joking at was how you described eating Franklin's brisket as a "religious experience...", hence, my reference to the " burning bush". No matter. I think the WSM is the way to go rather than throwing $$ at a kettle, trying to turn it into a poor man's WSM.

I can tell you frank experience that smoking in the kettle is lossy ...

It works, well even, but you waste a lot of fuel.

Gotcha ;-) It makes much more sense now. I'm a little slow on the uptake today. And yeah, I tend to agree, you can smoke on a kettle or a modified kettle, but the WSM is easier/better.

And the offset pictured above is fine and I'm sure will turn out some good Q, but the pitmaster will definitely need to learn fire control and be ready to babysit it and use lots of wood.

Roguejim said:

grantmichaels said:
I can tell you frank experience that smoking in the kettle is lossy ...

It works, well even, but you waste a lot of fuel.
You seem a bit confused in your point. Kettle smoking is "lossy" (lousy?), but you can also smoke "well" with one...head scratcher for me. How does it waste fuel? You're the first kettle naysayer I've come across. Or maybe I'm confused? ;)

Back