• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

rotting peppers

I am in the middle of everything starting to ripen and I am noticing that a lot have the beginings of rot and/or soft spots on them I must have about 10 Nagas alone that went like that -- No holes just a soft spot -- Could this be from all the rain we have received ? should I just pick them as they are turning??

I would bet on the rain when we get lots of rain here my peppers get soft as well but they still taste good for me if I got them before they rotted.

They taste fine (cut out bad spots) and no pepper maggots there has been a lot of rain on the East Coast I am attributing mostly to this route -- Now if I pick a pepper that is not ripe and ripen it indoors are the seeds still viable and able to germinate for next year?

had this on a couple of early pods to,where the plants where kept outside and the rot had come in because of extended periods of rain ..but other pods on the plant where fine :)

The same has happened to me! No worms either and the peppers still tasted fine, just like yours. I suspected humidity to be the problem, too and stopped spraying them, I hope that'll solve the problem. Happened to only 4 plants outta around 60, though. All the other's pods look and ripen just fine. I will post some pics tomorrow to see if they looks like yours!

I went out last night and looked around -- I had planted my peppers along a chain-link fence and my neighbor had transplanted and planted new flowers there apparently she has been watering with a sprinkler hose and soaking my plants as well -- I am going to stop watering -- on the upside my plants look great and healthy just the peppers are having a rough go.

What do you folks think about the viablity of seed when a pepper is picked and ripened indoors as opposed to being left on the vine to ripen?

I'm not sure how viable seeds from peppers ripened off the plant are, but technically they should be as good as seeds from any ripe pepper imo.

About the rotting peppers thing: I have stopped spraying my peppers one week and a half ago and will only do it once a week from now on and all my plants and peppers are fine now, obviously humidity was the cause! I'm glad it's no damn disease!

Back