•  

Photo

BBQ Interest Poll

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: BBQ Interest Poll (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Please state your interest...

1. If THP also had a BBQ site, I would visit it. (It would recognize your login credentials, and getting to the site would be as easy as a menu click, so it would be seamless integration, similar to clicking to a sub-forum here, but to a robust BBQ site.) (20 votes [46.51%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 46.51%

2. I would not visit a separate BBQ site, I prefer to talk BBQ here, even if that means that categories are limited because this is a hot pepper site. (8 votes [18.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.60%

3. If the BBQ categories here were expanded instead, I would favor that. (Keep in mind the full BBQ site would be a click away and you wouldn't have to "keep it spicy." THP is all about the spicy, so general BBQ talk may detract.) (9 votes [20.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.93%

4. Either way is fine for me. I really have no opinion. (6 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

5. I don't talk BBQ so would not visit the other site, and I would not want more BBQ categories here than there already are. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,606 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

I'm just gathering some general opinions for something that could happen. Thank you!

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Jeff H

Jeff H

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,636 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:00 PM

I'd visit it but how would you get a foothold? There are already a bunch of BBQ forums and other sites with a large head start are pretty huge already?

For Real, in my kitchen!  ...Or if not, then we'll be at Scovie's watching him rub his butt...

#3 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,606 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

The integration would be so seamless it would be more like an extension of the categories here existing on a branded domain. Click, and you are there, logged in. So spillover from those that use the BBQ forums here already. But more general BBQ talk for the serious.

The Beer/Homebrew forum is coming too. That one is a given.

I'm hoping to get these into action in the coming months. Thanks for the opinions.

#4 Hybrid Mode 01

Hybrid Mode 01

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 5,191 posts
  • aka:Shonas
  • (x1)
  • (x1)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

Personally, THP is my BBQ site. I've learned so much here about barbecue that I see no need to go elsewhere. More categories would definitely be interesting. 

"Nobody wins in a dairy challenge."       -Kenny Rogers

#5 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,010 posts
  • aka:grantmichaels
  • (x5)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

I'm torn between A and C - I'd prefer C, but if people/mods are going to be uptight, librarian, ontologists ... then I'm all about A ...

I guess since I plan to participate in the homebrew one, having one for the BBQ wouldn't really be much "more" to deal with ...

The Deep State

#6 hogleg

hogleg

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 11,068 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

The integration would be so seamless it would be more like an extension of the categories here existing on a branded domain. Click, and you are there, logged in. So spillover from those that use the BBQ forums here already. But more general BBQ talk for the serious.

The Beer/Homebrew forum is coming too. That one is a given.

I hoping to get these into action in the coming months. Thanks for the opinions.

:party: Organic forum? :party:

I like THP. I don't need other sites. 

Edited by hogleg, 16 July 2015 - 03:27 PM.

#7 Roguejim

Roguejim

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • aka:Roguejim

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

No interest. The largest BBQ forum on the Net has basically one subforum where most discussions end up. We have two, already.
"The Pacific Northwest GLOG is the place to be."

#8 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,539 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

I actually think this is somewhat a bbq forum? Which is a good thang.

Thp is enough for my social media needs.

#9 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 04:55 PM

I went with 2 and expanding our forums here is necessary. I'm here to mingle with fellow pepperheads who are passionate about the BBQ.

I'm a member of a cast iron forum because I collected it

I'm a member of a knife forum because I collected house knives

I'm a member of a golf forum because I was also addicted to the game

I'm a member of a Christian Forum because I'm also interested in apologetics.

I'm a member here because I became curious how to make a better hot sauce than I was making on my own.

I'm not a member of a BBQ forum because well there are great BBQers here that I respect.

#10 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,606 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

That would be #3 ;)

#11 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:04 PM

oops I misread 3

#12 alkhall

alkhall

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I voted separate site.

I was leaning towards no opinion since I really do not do it myself and actually have little interest in it, and this is pepper forum, not a BBQ forum after all. Therefore, I believe the BBQ should be separate and apart from the pepper forum.

I'm your truth, telling lies, I'm your reasoned alibis-Ulrich/Hetfield

#13 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 46,606 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:06 PM

I don't see the vote.

#14 SavinaRed

SavinaRed

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

fixed my vote :)

#15 muskymojo

muskymojo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,997 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Would you get rid of the bbq subforums here if you started a dedicated bbq forum?

I would possibly visit a new bbq forum, but then again I might not. I've never joined a bbq forum, nor do I read them much. Only if I'm looking for quick and specific info I occasionally stumble across one, but that's about it.
<*)}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}//{{..... Posted Image..>*)}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}//{{........<*)}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}//{{.....

#16 geeme

geeme

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,778 posts
  • (x1)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

In the growing threads you have a "Growing - Other" category, so it's not entirely off-site to have something like "BBQ - Other" here in this forum. However, I can see that some people who aren't into hot peppers might not find the thread(s). If your goal is to expand total visibility, then I like the idea of a new forum with a seamless link here, but also a seamless link there to here. Some people who are into hot peppers and don't know about this site might then find it, etc. (C'mon guys, you KNOW there are peeps out there who don't know about THP!) So I guess my question back to you is what is your overall goal in creating these new things? That goal, IMO, should drive your action.

Vision w/o action is merely a dream. Action w/o vision just passes time. Vision with action can change the world. - JOEL BARKER

#17 muskymojo

muskymojo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 3,997 posts
  • (x3)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:17 PM

My last post came out wrong. What I meant to say is I would definitely visit a new bbq site, but I might not end up frequenting it. I just don't have all that much to talk about regarding bbq, and the subforums here fill most of my needs.
<*)}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}//{{..... Posted Image..>*)}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}//{{........<*)}]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]}//{{.....

#18 grantmichaels

grantmichaels

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,010 posts
  • aka:grantmichaels
  • (x5)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

This feels like chili-head profiling.

My tract and sphincter demand recovery between THP-hot meals, and like most others we've heard from, I opted to make pepper folks my online peers in terms of culinary pursuits ...

So, for me, I think the site should list the cooking with fire, growing, and hot product review areas as top forums in the layout - and the requirement for spicy can be enforced there ...

In the brewing/beer areas/cooking areas there should be no requirement ... nobody should try to say anyone's grilled cheese or mashed potatoes needs spicy anything, lol ...

I've noted before that the social subs aren't indexed by GOOG, so if you are concerned w/ brand/intent dilution, just alter the sitemap.xml and robots.txt to keep the crawlers out of the regular food area.

All decent-sized forums have a lounge/other/misc stuff because you want users to socialize and want to spend time clicking around (displaying ads) ...

There's a lot of incidental context I've developed here that would be lost in switching communities, and you can't expect people to follow you around whatsoever. For me, for what I want, it's to be able to share w/ people I've been communicating with, whatever I'm into ...

There's a lot of old faces here who stopped growing ages ago, stopped eating fresh pods a long time ago, and barely cook anymore it seems ... but that's going to be the way it goes w/ super's etc, and that's fine ... they may resume - many do - and they may not ...

The problem is that social media and topical content are somewhat divergent.

If you want info silo density, you have to limit fluff. If you want to increase participation, you have to relax constraints ...

I'd limit socializing in the three main indexed areas, and allow it more freely everywhere else (and stop it getting indexed).

The Deep State

#19 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,109 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 16 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

smoking-meat forums, virtual weber bullet are my two 'goto' sites for all things BBQ.  I love the different aspect of BBq here though, and the thin blue smoke knowledge dropped here is just as good as any on the net.  Don't really see why you'd need a stand alone site, but I'm for anything that will grow this community.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#20 Bumper

Bumper

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

I'd be up for a separate site if our profiles are maintained across.  That said, equally I would be up for an overhaul and series of pinned topics of bbq too.  A and C work for me.  

Edited by Bumper, 16 July 2015 - 10:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests