• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Is "capsicum" an acceptable code word for extract in a hot sauce??

I was gifted a bottle of sauce today by a family member. The ingredients on the bottle are:

Red habanero, vinegar, capsicum, xantham gum.

I translated that to mean:

Red habanero, vinegar, other peppers, xantham gum.

Anyways, I tryed a spoonful and immediately spit it out. Nasty extract sauce! :sick: No doubt about it.

So... is that acceptable to list extract as simply "capsicum"? I guess it comes from peppers, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Is this common?

For those who are wondering, the sauce is called The Cat's Meow.

Slogan: "A sauce so hot it will make your pussy wet" :rolleyes:

This one is gonna hurt ya. The sauce is made with extract, so the burn will last longer than you will.

Ingredients: Distilled Vinegar, Red Habanero Peppers, Capsicum, Xanthan Gum.

The Hot Pepper said:
This one is gonna hurt ya. The sauce is made with extract, so the burn will last longer than you will.
Ingredients: Distilled Vinegar, Red Habanero Peppers, Capsicum, Xanthan Gum.
Yeah I googled it too. It says that on the website, but makes no mention of extract on the bottle.

I think I'm going to dump it along the perimeter of my garden out in the boonies that deer have been nibbling on.

Capsicum is pepper as you know, when the term is used as extract it is usually: Capsicum oleoresin, meaning the oil of the pepper. It could be shortened, or used by mistake instead of capsaicin.

I was fooled by it once as well. Remember??
I just got f%^Ked for 4 hours by an extract sauce

Is "capsicum" an acceptable code word for extract in a hot sauce??

I say hell no!

muskymojo said:
I was gifted a bottle of sauce today by a family member. The ingredients on the bottle are:

Red habanero, vinegar, capsicum, xantham gum.

I translated that to mean:

Red habanero, vinegar, other peppers, xantham gum.

Anyways, I tryed a spoonful and immediately spit it out. Nasty extract sauce! :sick: No doubt about it.

So... is that acceptable to list extract as simply "capsicum"? I guess it comes from peppers, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Is this common?

For those who are wondering, the sauce is called The Cat's Meow.

Slogan: "A sauce so hot it will make your pussy wet" :rolleyes:
i think mama would disagree with their stupid sloan !  lol    ;)

I agree with what's been posted by others.  "Capsicum" is not synonimous with oleoresin, chile extract, pepper oil, or other "creative" terms I've seen.

Who is listed on the label as the mfg?

salsalady said:
I agree with what's been posted by others.  "Capsicum" is not synonimous with oleoresin, chile extract, pepper oil, or other "creative" terms I've seen.

Who is listed on the label as the mfg?
I'm on the north shore of Lake superior for a family reunion until tomorrow, and the sauce is at home. I will check when I get home though.

D3monic said:
Anyone who uses extracts deserves a kick in the jimmy. They obviously don't care about thier product or the customer.
 Might want to reign in your feelings a tad, D3. There are a small handful of companies that understand the proper uses of extract. Our Defense Condition #1 Wing Sauce has a touch of it. It took the Screaming Mimi 1st Place Award last year, 2nd Place this year, 6 Golden Chile Awards, etc. There is a proper way to use it, I learned this many years ago, and actually make my own now (no chemicals, no electrical machines used in its creation, and it takes 8 months to make). Stating because I use extract, I don't care about my customers or my product. Who the F**k are you?. My customers are many (all 50 states and 32 countries), and they've been reordering on a regular basis for over 10 years. Yeah, you have the "blow it out your ass" type novelty sauces, and they are just that, a bunch of nasty chemical extract, and then side ingredients. We are not one of those. Please don't pool everyone into your 'puddle of misconception'. Just because you scraped your knee on asphalt, doesn't mean they should tear up the roads. Sorry for the rant, but when someone pools ALL manufcturers into the sh*t pool, just because they use a specific ingredient, and then spouting off that they don't give a sh*t about their product or clientele, kinda pisses me off. Got myopic?

And who am I? A well-known manufacturer who doesn't feel he should be kicked in the nuts and hates his customers because he uses a little extract.

No one asked who you was, you already strutted around thumping your chest announcing who you was and your greatness. Rein in the ego and your quick temper there sparky.

argumentisinvalid.jpg

Let's all get along and play nice boys......

Back