• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New grow box build.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I'm working on a new, larger grow box to replace the one that I'm using now to start my seedlings. I thought I'd post the progress here for all to see.

I've been on the lookout for a box suitable for this project for a few weeks now, then just last week, I passed this on the side of the road. 
20150718_151113.jpg

It had been dumped, was missing its doors, was wet, and full of water as we've had a fair amoutnt of rain lately. It's just what I was looking for, and the price was free, so who am I to argue. 

I let it dry out for a few days, then I fitted two steel mesh shelves. The box has three shelf positions per shelf. 
20150718_153943.jpg

I am going to mount 3x 4 tube T5HO light boxes, one under the top, and one under each shelf. But, if I move a shelf to accommodate seedling growth, it will affect the distance to the light of the plants above it. If that makes sense. I may have to make the shelves and light boxes independently adjustable to maximize the position of the lights over the plants. I'll think about it some, and come up with something. 

SR.

Mine is hellish more rough but all with wood I had laying around and the mirrors I got for free. Been using it for 5 years now I think. I used 2 inch drywall screws to make the "pegs" for shelf support and like you said moving one affects the one below. All-in-all it works great, sits at 85 degrees, and this year it finally hit me that the heater where I have had germination fault and not go well once again(2 years in a row) is no longer going to happen. Cold from a door being opened comes down and the heater comes on so maintaining steady heat just won't happen anymore. My second round of germination I did on the top shelf with no light on. I am going to make another shelf, take the lights from the ceiling and put them on the bottom of it. Then I will have a "dead" shelf to germinate on in the perfect heat. This will give me a full start-to-garden setup in one place. At 36 to a tray and 2 trays per shelf I ideally can get 216 starts going. That was the case 3 years ago and 4 years ago. Go figure it took 2 years of crappy germination to realize the new back door was the issue :rofl:

is that plywood? you might want to move it indoors for a while before working on it.

you might find that as it dries it changes shape subtlety.

love the shelves btw. where did you get those?

Maybe hang the light racks from chains or cables. Adjust how low they hang as your plants grow. I hang four 4' two bulb t12s from a PVC scaffold over a table using a couple lengths of arborist throw line. Easily adjustable.
     Nice score. I can't wait to see it all lit up and full of green!

moruga welder said:
i like your thinking my friend !  but i love that duck omelete a tad more !      :onfire:
Thanks brother, yes but without new plants, there can be no "Spicy" in future omelets.  :P

queequeg152 said:
is that plywood? you might want to move it indoors for a while before working on it.

you might find that as it dries it changes shape subtlety.

love the shelves btw. where did you get those?
It's not ply, the sides, top and drawers are made of real wood, most likely pine, which are small pieces joined end to end, just like how it looks on the back. The back is fake wood, and is just laminated Masonite, and the base of the grow area is laminated particle board. 

Thanks, I made shelves I made at work..... :shh:

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Maybe hang the light racks from chains or cables. Adjust how low they hang as your plants grow. I hang four 4' two bulb t12s from a PVC scaffold over a table using a couple lengths of arborist throw line. Easily adjustable.
     Nice score. I can't wait to see it all lit up and full of green!
I was thinking the something similar  to separate the shelf from the lights. I just need to figure out the best way to do it.

My current set up works fine, it's just too small. I have more plants than this box can handle. 
20150715_180416.jpg

20150719_095338.jpg

My lights make enough heat to warm the inside of the box. I have wired up a temperature controller (STC-1000) to turn two exhaust fans on once it reaches 30deg c at the top of the box.
20150714_075015.jpg

It works great at keeping everything nice and warm inside. I have the lights on during the night when temperatures are at their coldest.

The new box will be set up the same, but will give me enough room to keep me satisfied. I have about 150 solo cups at the moment, and more on the way. I gotta stop germinating, it's a sickness I tells ya!!

SR.

I'm in awe of your build and hope you don't mind me doing almost the same thing but seems this would be the only thing that would work good for me... if it does just let me know I'll wing it on my own

j.s.s. said:
I'm in awe of your build and hope you don't mind me doing almost the same thing but seems this would be the only thing that would work good for me... if it does just let me know I'll wing it on my own
Please do copy anything you see here, that's part of the reason I'm posting this here for all to see.

It really makes a difference if you can keep your starts warm while growing in winter in the lead up to spring. The temperature controller has been a great addition this season, set and forget.

More pics soon.......

SR.

Well, here she is. Still a few bits and pieces to finish off but I'm happy with the outcome. 
20150820_192943.jpg

Shelf positions are adjustable to three heights, and lights can be lowered independently of the shelf via a string and pulley like system from the front of the box.

Light "high" position. 
20150820_192354.jpg

Light "low" position". Notice the different position of the silver hooks. The shelf position has not changed.
20150820_192723.jpg

The left hook moves the right side of the light higher or lower and vice versa. This system works great, but was a P.I.T.A to figure out. 

I painted the vent outlets pink because plants like this color, and pink is dead sexy! 
20150820_192134.jpg

Three fans are hooked up to a temperature controller, while the other three fans will be hooked up to a humidity controller when it arrives. Need to neaten the wiring a little too.
20150820_193057.jpg

At the moment the box doesn't hold enough heat, so the fans don't come on all that often. I'll seal around the doors and it should help.
20150820_192104.jpg

SR.

Sweet! Im building my first grow "box" this season. Im starting with an old steel shelf i have. Dont know if im going to box mine in like yours though. Might be a good idea. I'd have to do mine in cardboard around the edges though. Is that a fire blanket or aluminum folil?

Back