• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

fermenting Authentic Mexican style fermented peppers

Does anyone have any other info on true Mexican pepper fermenting in pulque. I have a gentlemen that works for me that is from the central western region of Mexico he has brought me peppers back many times. The peppers are normally fermented in Pulque with tomillo (thyme) and onion, oregano, garlic. He speaks little English outside of our normal scope of work and gathering more information from him is difficult. I recently gave him enough money to buy off the police that normally have tried to steal him blind when he comes back. I have a 2 liter bottle of pulque. I normally like Serrano peppers but jalapenos prepared this way are equally as good. I have found twigs of thyme and mostly onion in the peppers he has made it back with. There is a strong flavor of Mexican oregano and also garlic in them but not much found. I believe these are made in large fermenting crock batches by his brother in law in mexico and he is adding onion on top of each container but the oregano and garlic flavors are at the bottom of the crock. He just came back and I have the crispiest peppers so far, probably a newer crop as he normally went around Christmas and now does not want to fight the traffic so he is going in July. The pulque is fairly acidic so it should soften the peppers rather rapidly without the use of salt. if anyone has any additional info please let me know. I'm almost ready to load him up and fly down to figure this out. The strong flavors are out of this world and I have 2 other guys that work for me that like them a lot also. They just are not pepper addicts.

I think if you're adding pods to an existing mash, you need to add an additional amount of salt proportional to the amount of peppers you added.
     I think that's what you're asking. I could be wrong. Honestly, I had a really hard time reading that runonsentenceofapost.

edit: Also, that sounds like good stuff. I would love to marinate a skirt stake in it!

Sounds interesting. I searched google and it brought me back to this topic. :lol:

I know what pulque is never heard of fermenting peppers in it as a Mexican thing. ;)

:D Thanks though.

:welcome:  I see this is your third post!

I am familiar with the marinated peppers, carrots and onions found in Mexican restaurants but what you describe sounds different.  I suggest finding someone to interpret so you can "pulque" more information out of him. ;) Seriously, you should find someone who speaks both languages. Is it Jalisco or some other portion of Central West? Peppers and fermented cactus juice sounds interesting. Please Report back on your efforts!

hogleg said:
Thanks hogleg was wondering what this was.
S
getnit1 said:
Does anyone have any other info on true Mexican pepper fermenting in pulque. I have a gentlemen that works for me that is from the central western region of Mexico he has brought me peppers back many times. The peppers are normally fermented in Pulque with tomillo (thyme) and onion, oregano, garlic. He speaks little English outside of our normal scope of work and gathering more information from him is difficult. I recently gave him enough money to buy off the police that normally have tried to steal him blind when he comes back. I have a 2 liter bottle of pulque. I normally like Serrano peppers but jalapenos prepared this way are equally as good. I have found twigs of thyme and mostly onion in the peppers he has made it back with. There is a strong flavor of Mexican oregano and also garlic in them but not much found. I believe these are made in large fermenting crock batches by his brother in law in mexico and he is adding onion on top of each container but the oregano and garlic flavors are at the bottom of the crock. He just came back and I have the crispiest peppers so far, probably a newer crop as he normally went around Christmas and now does not want to fight the traffic so he is going in July. The pulque is fairly acidic so it should soften the peppers rather rapidly without the use of salt. if anyone has any additional info please let me know. I'm almost ready to load him up and fly down to figure this out. The strong flavors are out of this world and I have 2 other guys that work for me that like them a lot also. They just are not pepper addicts.
Hey run on sentences are my thing ask Grant Michaels!! Lol, but seriously sounds like the same technique I use by using the pulque as a brine, I use white zin. Since pulque is alcohol I guess that is why they use this medium for brining the mash very interesting must add a nice flavor to the finished ferment.

no grammer Nazi's, but you may wanna target that underline gremlin on your next systems scan , getnit~    :lol  (ps- welcome to THP)

It'a all good, and back on topic, this pulqua pepper thing sounds very interesting. 

making pickled peppers using a fermented beverage as starter?  I'm guessing the fermented beverage has not been pasturized?

I know about salsa borracha, "drunk salsa," originally made with pulque but now can be made with pulque, tequila, or beer. But not the whole peppers. Similar I guess.

Entiendo español bastante bien, no es cierto que se utilizan especias. Estoy seguro de tomillo, el ajo, la cebolla y el pulque. Pero, hay otro tallo de la hoja más grande que no es la albahaca o el orégano.
Mis disculpas por mi gramática, una vez más. pero, no me subrayo.

Back