• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anyone else eat fresh pods daily?

I've found myself munching on green pequins daily now since getting some from a woman that grows em to cool with. Anyone else snack on stuff like this or do yall prefer them as ingredients?

Naga Chomper said:
Fresh pods daily?

Try multiple times daily :D
i don't dare eat them when they look like this ! lol
th-21.jpeg

depends on the pepper, I find myself eating aji omni colors and limon/pineapple as little nibble snacks multiple times a day. They are such great tasting pods. My caribbean red habs aren't too bad for that either. 

Wont catch me just grabbing a scorpion or 7pot and munching down on them though. I will leave those for cooking, sauce or powders. 

I always pick and eat as I check through the garden every day. Other than that, as I sit and de-seed them in front of the TV.  

SL3 said:
I always pick and eat as I check through the garden every day. Other than that, as I sit and de-seed them in front of the TV.  
Gotta say seeding is relaxing as can be. Even though I take a whole lotta space to do it. I find drying them on a crawfish tray to be a great way to do it though after getting em out. You do the peroxide wash or tend to stray from it? I'm not sure which I prefer yet.
D3monic said:
depends on the pepper, I find myself eating aji omni colors and limon/pineapple as little nibble snacks multiple times a day. They are such great tasting pods. My caribbean red habs aren't too bad for that either. 

Wont catch me just grabbing a scorpion or 7pot and munching down on them though. I will leave those for cooking, sauce or powders. 
Haha. Id hate to chomp down on one of those fire starters absentmindedly.
wrinklenuts said:
I eat fresh pods daily when in season and my own powder with every meal when fresh peppers are not in season.
Have a favorite pod by chance? Looking to expand my selection next season by two fold.
Bhuter said:
I'm finally able to get at least one pod down daily now that the ripe ones are trickling in.
Truthfully I tend to like the taste of some semiripe over the fully ripened ones. Like with the pequins. I love the ripe ones in burgers and salsa and stuff but love the green state raw. Kind of a cucumbery taste.
moruga welder said:
i make powders , use every day , breakfast , dinner, supper , restaurants , granny's it goes where i go !      :onfire:
Haha. I just send plants up for my Granny. She loves messing with her coworkers.

I use my powders every day. I'll eat a fresh hot pepper about 4 days a week, but usually eat a week's worth on Mondays. I have a couple of huge chilpequin plants and I'll pop those while I'm working out at the nursery most every day. They are small, but these little suckers will wake you up and get you going! Tom

I eat fresh pods daily, but when it comes to anything over ghost pepper heat it is to see how they are coming along and not because I enjoy them.  I use super hots in cooking almost daily, that is for pleasure.  Ghost pepper and below, that is dip in blue cheese dressing and snack like popcorn.  But even some of the ghost peppers are way too hot for me to enjoy that way.

Right now, it's fresh pods daily and some powder.
I'm the off-season I cheat because I have a heated sunporch and produce some fresh pods in the winter. Who needs a house plant when you can have a chile?
I work in R&D and one of my bosses who is into growing chiles and I meet up every day for lunch with fresh pods and we have taste tests; little nerd-out sessions where we talk about the flavor and visual profiles of peppers like some might describe a good looking woman, a film, or a good drug.

It's actually kind of funny when people who aren't into peppers hear us bantering for 20 minutes about a pepper...they must think we're crazy.

We also enjoy inviting newbies to our sessions. Today we had ripe red moruga from one of my grows, and the manager of another department (a newbie) wanted to join us. I think we almost killed him, although he received all the necessary warnings and only had an about 1 millimeter by 1 millimeter piece.

This may be off-subject, but I recently got some brown morugas from wicked mike, and they had the sweetest, most fruity and flavorful taste profile I have ever experienced in a chile. They were addictive, I kept wanting more and more, and each time was punished justly, although I still didn't learn and kept going back for more- I couldn't help myself. Has anybody else had this experience with brown moruga? I love the flavor of morugas almost explicitly, but had never had one with such a density of fruity flavor. Please, let me know if anyone has. I'm beginning to wonder if they were pollinated by an orange or tangerine tree in South Florida.

Fwiw, all my grow plans for next year are turning to crap because I am literally obsessed with how good that pepper tasted!

Reactions: SL3
I only use a little Peroxide sometimes during soaking prior to germination. Not while I de-seed the pods, or prior to storage. 

SL3, on 21 Jul 2015 - 5:46 PM, said:
SL3 said:
Gotta say seeding is relaxing as can be. Even though I take a whole lotta space to do it. I find drying them on a crawfish tray to be a great way to do it though after getting em out. You do the peroxide wash or tend to stray from it? I'm not sure which I prefer yet. 

I seldom these days will munch on a fresh pepper if its above the 100k scoville. Today I ate a jalapeno and a thai. Yesterday I ate a Caribbean Red and a Cherry Bomb. One of my favorites to munch on is the Bishops Crown. I have about 10 plants loaded with big green pods. I can't wait for them to get red as they are really quite tasty.

Back