• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Using wine to cover a mash for fermentation?

I came across this article that suggests using a no sulfite added white wine like resiling or Gewürztraminer to cover the mash. There are a few reasons that this appeals to me: 

-I enjoy the flavor of wine
-These are somewhat sweet wines that would provide a source of sugar so that I could use only peppers without having to add lots of other vegetables. I may add a little shallot to this one anyway because I think it would compliment the flavor profile well
-It would kickstart acidification for shelf stability   

I'm interested to hear if anyone has ever used wine in this way and if there may be any drawbacks to doing this. My thought is that the alcohol content is low enough in these wines as to not kill much bacteria and I'll be using a Caldwell starter culture for the sauce anyway. 

http://www.thejoykitchen.com/recipe/fermented-louisiana-style-hot-sauce

I've read that same article and have considered the same thing. For me a Gewürztraminer is a bit too sweet. Luckily everyone that has an acre to spare in Iowa is producing a white wine so I have a few options. Let me know what wine you run with. 

TRPV1

Do a search for member JamesN. He only has 18 posts and was around just a few months last year in Aug - Oct 2014. His posts drew some interest because he advocated wines in his sauces. I followed his advice and made a Hab sauce using White Zin. I really liked it and want to do it again this year. My meager peppers made just 3 woozie bottles and I gave away 2. Wished I had them back.

Here is a post for JamesN to get you started. He knew what he was doing. Not sure why he left THP.

Check it out!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/49886-current-ferments/

TRPV1 said:
I came across this article that suggests using a no sulfite added white wine like resiling or Gewürztraminer to cover the mash. There are a few reasons that this appeals to me: 

-I enjoy the flavor of wine
-These are somewhat sweet wines that would provide a source of sugar so that I could use only peppers without having to add lots of other vegetables. I may add a little shallot to this one anyway because I think it would compliment the flavor profile well
-It would kickstart acidification for shelf stability   

I'm interested to hear if anyone has ever used wine in this way and if there may be any drawbacks to doing this. My thought is that the alcohol content is low enough in these wines as to not kill much bacteria and I'll be using a Caldwell starter culture for the sauce anyway. 

http://www.thejoykitchen.com/recipe/fermented-louisiana-style-hot-sauce
I'm an original students of JamesN and all I use is wine in my ferments usually a zin nothing expensive.
Works fantastic!! I've yet to have a problem batch!! :) anything you'd like to know in particular?
oldsalty said:
I'm an original students of JamesN and all I use is wine in my ferments usually a zin nothing expensive.
Works fantastic!! I've yet to have a problem batch!! :) anything you'd like to know in particular?
The sugars in the wine are completely consumed so there is no affect on flavor profile. If you'd like a sweeter flavor must be done after fermenting and done while processing.

gangaskan said:
interesting, so with the zin do you need to add a starter?  from James's post it appears that he didn't in his.
Yes I do use a starter I use whitelab for my starter works fantastic as it's a vegetable based lab. The finished product is fantastic I've never had issues with any bad bacteria or even Kahm yeast. Still add salt but much lower amounts the key is using the cheaper stuff any inexpensive zin will do. :)

gangaskan said:
which one do you use?  i see a ton on the website :)   more like the brewers yeast, or something like the wildferm?
Ok, white lab pitchable liquid yeast

Whitelab.com
Lactobacillus
Delbrueckii WLP677, sorry spacing went crazy, I buy from a local brewer but many people use the tablets or capsules. Can't remember name off the top but will get it.

Back