Hello out there in Pepperland!

Greetings from Pontiac, MI. Well, I'm not exactly in Pontiac right now; I'm in TX. I've driven a truck, on and off, for the last 20 years. Like gardening, it's an addiction.

Speaking of gardening, I don't know why, but I love growing peppers more than anything else. I've dedicated all of my available beds to peppers this year. I took over my son's bedroom to grow peppers. Well, the ceiling was falling in, so we had to move him. :shh:  But now that that panic is over, I've conned him into letting me have my growroom for one more year. :party:

The deer love my peppers. So much so, that they can't wait for them to grow. They just chomp the plants at will. I've put up a fence, they jump it. We put soap up, they ignore it. I have scared them out a couple of times, and that has seemed to keep them at bay for awhile. We did get a motion detector sprinkler, so we'll see how that works. Trouble is, they come in at different entrances. Oh well.

I can't believe how much information is available on THP. I love this place! You've inspired me into greatness in my own mind. I can't help but feel a little intimidated by the knowledge some of you have. But I've noticed that most are kind on here, and are glad to lend a helping hand. That is what made me sign up. Everyone is a rookie at everything they do, at some point in their lives.

I'll share more with you later, as my break is up, and I need to put some distance between myself and Texas.
Ciao for now. :D

Welcome. A little surprised about the deer. I expect problems every year as we have a local heard of about 20 deer in my neighborhood. See them in the yard all the time but they don't seem to bother them. Even found a fawn taking a nap between peppers and tomatoes last year. They do like the flowers that shoot out of some of the wife's hastas.

:welcome: to the THP. Good luck on the deer problem. At my dad's house they eat pods, leaves and everything and he has yet to find a solution other than termination.

Hello there Myxlplyk and welcome to the world's greatest addiction!!! :) Love them big rigs my best friend is an over the road hauler. Hauls armored cars. Love's it :)
Well if peppers are a passion you've found the place!! :) There is an almost unlimited wealth of information on all thing's pepper. And a ton more on BBQ,homebrewing,cooking, and so much more!!!
You won't meet a better group of people. Always there to help a fellow chili head. And a strong community spirit. Take you're time read the forums lots of fantastic info and lots of stuff to keep you laughing!! :)
So don't be shy get in there and meet the crew and most of all Have Fun!!!
Murrells Inlet SC
Cheers

jcw10tc said:
Welcome. A little surprised about the deer. I expect problems every year as we have a local heard of about 20 deer in my neighborhood. See them in the yard all the time but they don't seem to bother them. Even found a fawn taking a nap between peppers and tomatoes last year. They do like the flowers that shoot out of some of the wife's hastas.

Last year, they were content eating our beans, cukes, and tomatoes. This year, they've decided they want a lot of spice, with a side of maters, because that's pretty much all we're growing.

WITN3SS said:
:welcome: to the THP. Good luck on the deer problem. At my dad's house they eat pods, leaves and everything and he has yet to find a solution other than termination.

Thanx, my good fellow. I'll let you know how the sprinkler works. My son says it worked on him. :rofl:

oldsalty said:
Hello there Myxlplyk and welcome to the world's greatest addiction!!! :) Love them big rigs my best friend is an over the road hauler. Hauls armored cars. Love's it :)
Well if peppers are a passion you've found the place!! :) There is an almost unlimited wealth of information on all thing's pepper. And a ton more on BBQ,homebrewing,cooking, and so much more!!!
You won't meet a better group of people. Always there to help a fellow chili head. And a strong community spirit. Take you're time read the forums lots of fantastic info and lots of stuff to keep you laughing!! :)
So don't be shy get in there and meet the crew and most of all Have Fun!!!
Murrells Inlet SC
Cheers

I really appreciate that. I've been checking out sauce recipes (Salsalady is one wicked recipe guru!), growing mediums and techniques, and business advice. I'm looking into starting a backyard pepper farm, and again, Salsalady comes thru with the advice. I seriously like Wicked Mike's backyard setup. I'm currently trying to find out how much renting some greenhouse space would cost me over the winter and/or spring.

This is my second year gardening. The wife is looking after it for the most part - watering/weeding. I feed it when I get home every few weeks. I also have blueberry bushes, when I'm not weed wacking them. :rolleyes:  Heck, they were anemic anyways.

I also dabble in collecting free stuff off of craiglist - particularly barrels and firewood. Those two do extremely well together for making biochar. I'm surprised I haven't heard much on the subject. Maybe I'll start a thread or a dozen. This year, I'll be adding some to my beds, and will be sure to keep the forum informed of any progress.

Myxlplyk said:
Last year, they were content eating our beans, cukes, and tomatoes. This year, they've decided they want a lot of spice, with a side of maters, because that's pretty much all we're growing.

Thanx, my good fellow. I'll let you know how the sprinkler works. My son says it worked on him. :rofl:

I really appreciate that. I've been checking out sauce recipes (Salsalady is one wicked recipe guru!), growing mediums and techniques, and business advice. I'm looking into starting a backyard pepper farm, and again, Salsalady comes thru with the advice. I seriously like Wicked Mike's backyard setup. I'm currently trying to find out how much renting some greenhouse space would cost me over the winter and/or spring.

This is my second year gardening. The wife is looking after it for the most part - watering/weeding. I feed it when I get home every few weeks. I also have blueberry bushes, when I'm not weed wacking them. :rolleyes:  Heck, they were anemic anyways.

I also dabble in collecting free stuff off of craiglist - particularly barrels and firewood. Those two do extremely well together for making biochar. I'm surprised I haven't heard much on the subject. Maybe I'll start a thread or a dozen. This year, I'll be adding some to my beds, and will be sure to keep the forum informed of any progress.
Can't go wrong with any advice from either Salsalady or Wicked Mike !!!! Both wonderful people and very helpful!! Mike's a good friend and always ready to lend a hand. Give him a holler.

Have a few blueberry bushes myself forget about them, so pepper crazy at this time !! :) what can you do! Lol

Wood barrels? And binocular sounds very interesting you will definitely want to post that with the growers forum those guys are serious I'm sure you'll find plenty of interested parties over there!! :) Tons of knowledgeable folks, should be an interesting thread. Looking forward to seeing that keep me posted.
Definitely keep us updated brother. Looking forward to your future posts. :)
Cheers

sknxvll said:
Well I hope ur enjoying our wonderful weather :rofl:

I lived in Hixson a couple of years, and went to shool at NASMemphis, so I always like your weather. TN is just the coolest state all the way around. :)

Myxlplyk said:

I lived in Hixson a couple of years, and went to shool at NASMemphis, so I always like your weather. TN is just the coolest state all the way around. :)
It was yucky yesterday with the rain :mope:  But yeah, TN is pretty cool....lots of cool ppl to :cheers:  :P

Back