• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting First ferment. Need Guidance.

Two years ago i made my first hot sauce and it came out killer! I smoked jalapenos bought a few other peppers from the store and sauted till desired thickness and bottled while hot. I think i loosely followed a recipe to get vinegar (acidity) levels within reason. I still have some in the fridge that i use from time to time and it is still very good.

I just harvested a fresh batch of jalapenos and chile arbols. About 3lbs of jalapenos and 3/4lb of chile arbol. I sliced each pepper down the center with a knife and smoked with applewood along with one onion and a handful of carrot slices.

Shortly after smoking i blended in a blender and transfered to two seperate mason jars. One jar i added lacobacillus and the other jar some yougart. Covered with cheese cloth and its been 2 days now. Not sure if what i am doing is correct, I guess i should of researched a bit more before commiting.

If what i am doing is veering to far from common practice will someone help me get back on track? The consistency is a bit thick and am unsure if i should add vinegar after the ferment or if i need to cook or not.

Should i check ph levels after say a week or so. I want to say it should be 4.0 but am uncertain of how long to wait for fermentation. I appreciate the help in advance. Steve

Back