• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil instruments for soil, water light testing?

I have a business and i think i want to offer soil testing and then i need to have more values to check. I also want to test some light source and that why i need a spectrodiometer to measure more than lux.

Look for BetaTestTeam on ICmag. A few of the posters on Logical Gardener provide soil testing I believe and would be good people to track down.

pwb said:
I have a business and i think i want to offer soil testing and then i need to have more values to check. I also want to test some light source and that why i need a spectrodiometer to measure more than lux.

photometers use shit loads of reagents to quantify values for individual values of nitrate etc.

they are no different than those aquarium dropper test kits... the photometer just takes your eyeball out of the equation. it uses a sensor to precisly quantify the values, comparing it against some calibration source.

you are going to be very hard pressed to offer competitive services. most ag universities offer legit soil testing for like.... 50 -75 bucks, idk for shure,but its not terribly expensive.

what technology the universities use? ive no clue. i can tell you though, its probably something far more accurate than the reagent tests.
pwb said:

I'm also looking for some instruments for PAR testing (light measure). Is it possible to get a spectrodiometer for 5-1000$ some place or do i have to use +3000$ on one?

PAR testing? for like indoor lighting?

theres a few instruments that use those cheap ass apogee sensors... i think they are like 300 bucks.

the sensor is basically a cheap pyranometer sensor without the fancy quartz dome and housing.

pyranometers are those sensors you see ontop of weather instrument towers... they quantify solar radiation on a  minute by minute basis... i think this is how they issue UV index values and shit like that.

these weather sensors cost a grip...but thats because of the mounting equipment and crystal dome etc. the sensors themselves are not terrible.

Back