• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Pepper pesto

Being a bit bored of weather heat, having some pepper remains and that idea since some days...
I just made a pesto, more or less like original basil one but with hot pepper instead.

40g deseeded various hot peppers (4 calabrese annuum, 2 cherrylike, a piece of Butch T, Jay's Red, Jay's Peach, Bahamian Goat)
40g Grana Padano
40g evo
25g garlic
20g hazelnuts
5g salt

Just blend all.

Note: i used hazelnuts cause i didn't have pine nuts, also almonds and/or walnuts should be good. So i heat them in a pan to remove the skin.
That one ended being quite heavy on garlic and salt, so they could be lowered if you want to taste more pepper or don't like salted things.

I'm satisfied with the result, of course that could be tuned with more spices or varying garlic and/or salt but it's a good starting point.
I think that tomorrow it should be better, like true pesto that is best after 1 day.

PS: i want to redo with goat cheese, bahamian goat and goat's weed lol, but at the moment i don't have enough.

Very nice Essegi I love hazelnuts. Never thought of using in my pesto. Always use pine nuts. My goats are starting to produce some beautiful peppers will be giving that a try farmer up the street makes fantastic farm cheeses.
Cheers

I make pesto all the time and I have 6 nice basil plants growing. I will make a separate batch for me to try next time. Thanks for the idea. I might start out with jalapenos/ serranos to see if I like the combination of peppers in my pesto and then go hotter if its good.

so I used 1 roasted clove of garlic, toasted almond slivers, maybe 15 or so trinidad yellow perfume peppers, 4 aji pineapple and 5 brazilian starfish, olive oil. Very good, very aromatic. thanks for the idea Essegi! Yours is much prettier, I might have used a  little bit too much olive oil

20150725_133820.jpg

BigB said:
so I used 1 roasted clove of garlic, toasted almond slivers, maybe 15 or so trinidad yellow perfume peppers, 4 aji pineapple and 5 brazilian starfish, olive oil. Very good, very aromatic. thanks for the idea Essegi! Yours is much prettier, I might have used a  little bit too much olive oil

20150725_133820.jpg
if its going over pasta you can't use to much olive oil. IMHO

Back