• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My Paper Lantern Sauce

I just wanted to share my lantern sauce. It begins with peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper to make a mash. After a few weeks I add the vinegar and run it through my vitamix. 

BMdIOtb.jpg
Hptp5uf.jpg

girleatsfire said:
I just wanted to share my lantern sauce. It begins with peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper to make a mash. After a few weeks I add the vinegar and run it through my vitamix. 

BMdIOtb.jpg
Hptp5uf.jpg
Wow great looking sauces girleatsfire!!!! How long did you allow yer ferment to run ? First ferment? Love to see your process. Usually let mine run a minimum of 3 months and up.
Again really nice looking sauce let us know how it taste :)

The paper lantern is my go to pepper. Heat wise they are on par with or a little hotter than a habanero/scotch bonnet while having a sweetness similar to eating a bell pepper. They combine well with the garlic in the sauce. The heat comes on slowly and the burn lasts awhile without being overwhelming. I use the sauce on everything from wings to pizza. 

Very nice. I have a gallon bag of paper lanterns in the freezer from last season just looking for a project.

Any grit from the chopped up seeds? If so, you might want to try a food mill before the blender.

I need to look into fermenting. Where's a good place to order airlocks and stuff? My local brew stores are also grow stores and the locals target shoppers for raids adn last thing I need is a raid. ..... .. ..

D3monic said:
I need to look into fermenting. Where's a good place to order airlocks and stuff? My local brew stores are also grow stores and the locals target shoppers for raids adn last thing I need is a raid. ..... .. ..
Amazon has lots of cheap deals also try motherearthnews lots of great info and products.
I was thinking about trying baby bottle nipples for airlock just drilling out plastic covers for ball jars to fit. Not as tall as standard airlock should do nicely and cheap mod!

oldsalty said:
Wow great looking sauces girleatsfire!!!! How long did you allow yer ferment to run ? First ferment? Love to see your process. Usually let mine run a minimum of 3 months and up.
Again really nice looking sauce let us know how it taste :)
Thank you! I let my ferment go for 3 weeks. This was the first sauce I ever made. I have tried my same recipe with Habaneros but like the Paper Lanterns much better. I will be harvesting pods soon so I will try a long ferment and see what difference it makes. 
Jeff H said:
Any grit from the chopped up seeds? If so, you might want to try a food mill before the blender.
No grit at all. The Vitamix does a great job at pureeing. 

D3monic said:

I made my own airlock setup with the following products. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008ACWSZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
http://www.harborfreight.com/180-piece-harness-grommet-set-67582.html

Pretty cheap in the long run, especially compared to a Pickle Pro that would set you back roughly 20$. 

To assemble all I had to do was drill a hole in a mason jar lid, think it was 7/16, then insert a 3/8 grommet and pop the airlock in the grommet. I have three setup right now and am trying 2 different habanero and 1 jalapeno mash. The jalapeno was started 6/26 and the habs on 7/13 so I can't tell you how well anything has turned out but they look pretty good thus far. 

Back