• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Eggplant Curry

RJS

Banned
This is a little bit off the wall, but it is technically a 'sauce'.

Your house is guaranteed to smell like an old Pakistani woman's kitchen upon completion.

Eggplant Curry

3- medium eggplants
3- large tomatoes
2- large onions
any- chillis to taste. I used a couple habaneros. Bhut Jolokia would be ethnically correct.
Couple cloves of garlic

Curry powder- I used hot madras, a dash of tumeric, a couple dashes of ginger.

Salt to taste

First, I chopped all ingredients finely, after skinning the eggplant.
Add a good dash of olive oil to the pan, add all ingredients, and simmer with lid on for three hours or so. Add spices after two hours.

p.s. One reason to save the spices for later, is you DO NOT WANT to miss the incredible aroma of sauteing eggplant, tomato, peppers, garlic and onion. You will advance to previously undreamed of states of culinary nirvana if you walk through this process as I have laid it out.

Every half hour or so, mash ingredients up and return to simmer.
Once getting to a good mash, it's time to add the spices.

The mash is great on as many dishes as your imagination will conjure up, I would recommend a bed of rice and sauteed chicken breast for starters.

I got a wild hair and poured mine over a bed of shrimp.

curry.jpg

Back in my martial arts days in Houston, before I broke my back, (I can still kick your ass.) I trained extensivly with a couple of Pakistani brothers who went on to compete in the junior olympics in Korean Tae Kwon Do. While we beat the living $(^# out of each other in the back yard, their mother cooked for us. This dish is my ode' to her, and the smells peel back the years and take me back to those days.

Unless you're growing them yourself or have a really good asian food store nearby, you won't have much of a choice anyway. I guess any eggplant will do although the small asian varieties might add a little extra, but they are hard to get a hold of and there won't be much left of them after skinning! :)

Other than the size, skin color, and shape I've really never detected any difference in the various types of eggplant, they all taste alike to me. I grow two types presently: Dusky and Rosa Bianca. SMILE RJS, YOU'RE ABOUT TO EAT SOME CURRY!

thehotpepper.com said:
He did. Pakistan is in Asia. Japanese and Thai eggplants are are common in all of Asia.

I know, but i didn't think it was grouped in as 'Asian' food so to speak. India is right next to Pakistan and it's cuisine isn't usually grouped in with 'Asian' food either.

Eggplants are native to SE Asia, and the varieties are used in all of Asia, just wondering if he used one, or if he used an American Eggplant. The Asian ones are not hard to find in some supermarkets or specialty stores.

thehotpepper.com said:
Eggplants are native to SE Asia, and the varieties are used in all of Asia, just wondering if he used one, or if he used an American Eggplant. The Asian ones are not hard to find in some supermarkets or specialty stores.

Ah. Gotcha. Sorry about the confusion. I guess i need to put this martini down for a while, huh?

Well I just pulled 'em outta the garden, have plain old purple and a green variety.
So I guess not absolutely original...but then again neither am I an old Pakistani mother and the spices came in a McCormick's can from Wal-Mart.

I am currently sweating over a -very- botched ethnic food.
Couple packs of beef ramen noodles, boil any peppers added along with the water heating up, any tender cut of beef such as eye of round, take and slice as thin as you can as water heats. Chop a pile of cilantro and thinly slice some onion, maybe a couple cloves of garlic.
Water gets ready, add noodles and cook normally, pull of heat, dump beef in, which should quickly cook medium rare in the broth. (Add season packets.)

Peppers, noodles and beef done, throw in the small handfull of chopped fresh cilantro, the sliced onion, and a small squirt of lime juice.

Then squirt half a bottle of sriracha sauce until it is blood red and you can no longer distinguish all those wonderful various intricate and annoying flavors. Just HOT!!!!

Hehheh just kidding. It's awesome no matter how much sriracha you dumb in.
That's my severely american-(lazy at that)-ized version of Vietnamese Pho.

Back