• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do pepper plants stop producing when peppers begin to turn red on the plant?

I am the Pepper Daemon.

Now I fully understand that you will get more peppers off a pepper plant if you continue to pick peppers while they are green, as the plant strives to produce viable seed. The question is: let's say I don't pick any peppers off a plant until the first few peppers turn red - will the pepper continue to produce new peppers throughout the growing season, or does it literally stop producing -new- peppers (I know it will continue to ripen the peppers already on the plant) once peppers mature to red on the plant?

If pepper plants do stop producing when peppers begin to turn red, what would happen if I picked peppers that were half red, half green?

I'm trying to decide whether I should pick all my peppers green now, or wait a few more days until they begin to turn red, since there's still two and a half months left in Pepper Daemon's growing season.

The Pepper Daemon thanks you for your answers.

:tear:

yes peppers will continuously fruit as long as they have enough energy / nutrients. You can wait for them to ripen then pick them, then a week or so after you will have lots of new flowers form.

Heckle said:
Why dont you just ask the pepper daemon you have a picture of that you never posted?

It was actually a Crocosmia ‘Lucifer’ plant. That particular entity has only shown up once in a picture. Didn't get to talk to it.

I usually leave mine on until at least 3/4 ripe. Sweet peppers, on the other hand, if I need some for cooking, I'll pick when they have at least a little color other than green.
cruzzfish said:
I have one that's beginning it's second flower of the year while the previous set hasn't ripened yet. I just hope I get more than one goddamned pod this time.
add some high phosphorus bat guano or bone meal to the top of the soil mot too close to the stem. You should get more production in the fall.

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
I usually leave mine on until at least 3/4 ripe. Sweet peppers, on the other hand, if I need some for cooking, I'll pick when they have at least a little color other than green.
add some high phosphorus bat guano or bone meal to the top of the soil mot too close to the stem. You should get more production in the fall.
This one seems to alternate between really productive and just one pod. The new set seem to have four started, so I'm hopeful considering that there's fifty flowers in bloom and another eighty or so forming.

PepperDaemon said:

There is a real picture. But... you know. I kind of decided not to post it. This forum does not seem like the right kind of environment for that kind of picture.

Uhhh, did I miss something, what are we talking about?

pepper_rancher said:

Much oddness. A question I asked about a month ago.
chocolatescotchbonnet said:

Does a 3/4 ripe pepper taste the same as a fully ripe pepper?

pepper_rancher said:

PepperDaemon said:

Much oddness. A question I asked about a month ago.

I have a picture of a plant (not a pepper) that I took in broad daylight that, when examined after the fact, has what appears to be the daemon of the plant very visible in the background of the picture in shockingly detailed form. I would post it, but it's very real and some people might be bothered by it, and this isn't a spiritual forum, so I don't/won't. It seems daemons are capable of manipulating light in subtle ways to make themselves visible in image form in mediums like pictures.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/55100-has-anyone-been-in-contact-with-a-pepper-daemon/page-2#entry1179597

That.

I am the Pepper Priest.  I command thee in the name of our lord Wilbur, be gone.

Serious response: This time of the year, it seems like the same plant will have everything from flower to ripe pod as if there is one perpetual cycle.  So I -think- the wave thing that people observe is more a thing with climate than a function of the pepper itself.  Lots of things will cause flowers to drop.  Flowers dropping would stall the process of making pods. So I -think- that climate generates waves but if they were in an optimum condition the yield would seem ongoing.

Best people to ask would be the year round indoor folk.  Without that fluctuating temp, I am willing to bet mature plants become regular producers rather than producers in waves.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isnt something with light frequency and day length too.  If I remember my earth science from Jr. High, the light cycle where most of the super hots get their dna doesnt fluxuate nearly as much as up here in the states.

ajdrew said:
I am the Pepper Priest.  I command thee in the name of our lord Wilbur, be gone.

Serious response: This time of the year, it seems like the same plant will have everything from flower to ripe pod as if there is one perpetual cycle.  So I -think- the wave thing that people observe is more a thing with climate than a function of the pepper itself.  Lots of things will cause flowers to drop.  Flowers dropping would stall the process of making pods. So I -think- that climate generates waves but if they were in an optimum condition the yield would seem ongoing.

Best people to ask would be the year round indoor folk.  Without that fluctuating temp, I am willing to bet mature plants become regular producers rather than producers in waves.

I wouldn't be surprised if there isnt something with light frequency and day length too.  If I remember my earth science from Jr. High, the light cycle where most of the super hots get their dna doesnt fluxuate nearly as much as up here in the states.
so does that mean its time to move to the islands !      lets go !    :onfire:

Moruga, I have a really good friend who lives on Saint something.  We were just talking about gardening and the heat.  She says she can not go outside between 10 AM and 5 PM on most days.  So my thought on moving there is you have a good time.  Maybe I will introduce you guys.  Dont forget to bring your swimming pool

But yes, I do suspect things grow much differently in the setting in which they evolved.  Hell, its vitamin D milk and other supplemental nutrition that lets black folk live in the US and sunscreen that lets white folk live in Africa.

ajdrew said:
Moruga, I have a really good friend who lives on Saint something.  We were just talking about gardening and the heat.  She says she can not go outside between 10 AM and 5 PM on most days.  So my thought on moving there is you have a good time.  Maybe I will introduce you guys.  Dont forget to bring your swimming pool

But yes, I do suspect things grow much differently in the setting in which they evolved.  Hell, its vitamin D milk and other supplemental nutrition that lets black folk live in the US and sunscreen that lets white folk live in Africa.
AJ drew I agree, I can handle hot desert heat of New Mexico/ Arizona my ancestors were made for, The heat of Florida is no problem for me, I dont like humidity at night. But this cold in Chicago isnt no joke, I cant go outside in 0 degree and under, the Polish and Germans love it, let the weather get in the 50s you got people wearing shorts outside and tank tops.....
in Subtropical Georgia summer heat, habaneros turn peach instead of orange.

But drew I know of quite a few plants that grow great in  Kentucky climate.

papadaca, one of the sad things about trying to root out hate from our culture is that heritage is often collateral damage.  sad because science seems to be on the side of recognizing differences, not hating differences but recognizing them.  Heart medication comes to mind.  What works best for white folk does not work best for black folk.  Same with the sexes.  Id rather revel in the differences than ignore them.

Back