• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fruit set help

I grow my peppers (super hots mostly this year) in 5-7 gallon pots outside. I have lots of flowers but no fruit set, because of the heat. I'm thinking about taking a few pots inside in a conditioned area just overnight to create a temperature difference. Has anyone tried this? Did it actually helped? tia

Tia,
I shade my containers with plywood. Here in So. Cal, we get triple digit heat so you have to watch your soil temp which will cause you to drop flowers and fruit.
A/C might shock them. I wouldn't do that.

Don't know if it will work but give its try. I had to start going out early in the morning to Qtip the young just opened flowers. It seems to worked on the chbbg7 plant. Flowers just want set much on 95f days. Flower gets nuked in one day. I also have shade nets up cutting 60 percent.

I wouldn't bother. You may get a bunch of fruit setting soon, as the days are now getting shorter. You'll be surprise how quick it can happen. You should still have into October, so there's lots of time. I tap and shake my plants from time to time while watering but dunno if it helps any.

A 40% sunshade has helped me. It doesn't cover all the plants, but does give most of them a "break" during the heat of the day.

Agree with the above advise about the shadecloth. Last summer my greenhouse (with the fans on) was peaking at 40C / 104F, as soon as I used shadecloth (I think it was about 40% or there abouts) the temperatures dropped to about 30C / 86F max. And fruit started setting within days on both annuums and chinenses which were dropping flowers like mad prior to that.

I have never used sun shade cloth, so I'm not sure about what kind to use and how to set it up ( I don't have a greenhouse ). I would appreciate any suggestions and maybe pictures of your setups (not in a greenhouse).

hotchill said:
I have never used sun shade cloth, so I'm not sure about what kind to use and how to set it up ( I don't have a greenhouse ). I would appreciate any suggestions and maybe pictures of your setups (not in a greenhouse).
they have a bunch on eBay.40 and 60 is what I use some times both.

Here is a few pix of my questionable structure lol. I made it outta PVC I had laying around from a past tomatoe net tent and a old king sized white sheet. Thought about the shade cloth but then I would have to go somewhere and or spend more money :). With our heat index getting near 107 for the past 14 days I thought this would be better than nothing, and I might even stop the flower drop. I have an outdoor misting fan I could set up, just not sure if I wanna use that much water or what the return would be like in the form of peppers. Maybe this is natures way of helping my stomach lining Bwahahahhahahhahaaa!

Update: I took inside 2 pots overnight (73-75F) for 2 nights and it seems to work - there was a multiple fruit set on both, comparing to 10 other plants with 0 fruit set that were outside overnight. Hope my experience will be helpful to someone. Thanks for all the replies.

Back