• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Datils

I had my first  datil pepper  today & I have to say it is one of my new favorites. :dance: 
The flavor was sweet with a hint of grass that gave way to sweet citrus fruity flavor almost limony orange with decent heat. :fireball: 
Those little pods sure have a lot of seeds but easy to eat around. ;)

I was planning on growing it this season, but kinda forgot. Found seeds just today after "organizing" them. Yup, already thinking what I will be growing next season.
:)
So I heard before they were good. The joke's on me then, for not growing them to find out. :confused:

Yes I tried a few pods last year and decided to grow a couple plants this year. 1 Plant is doing good and the other is a runt. I'm getting my first pod on the larger plant. I really like the taste of the datil pepper.

I got a Datil from the local nursery, but I'm not so sure that's what it is. Are Datil's Chinense? Because mine is growing like an Annuum...one pod per node.

Yes, I have heard about this pepper from St. Augustine called Datil.  So, I picked up this can of heat.  I hope it works! Just add water!  :rolleyes:

NYe9tnLl.jpg

Bhuter said:
I got a Datil from the local nursery, but I'm not so sure that's what it is. Are Datil's Chinense? Because mine is growing like an Annuum...one pod per node.
There Capsicum Chinense

The Datil pepper is special.

Unique to St. Augustine, however, I theorize it is a descendant of the mutton pepper from the island of Roatan. The old wives tale says this pepper was brought to St. Augustine from the island of Minorca in the Mediterranean sea. Possible, but not likely. I believe Mr. Wells brought this pepper to St. Augustine in the late 1800's from Santiago Cuba, which has local trade with the Caiman islands, and Roatan island, Honduras.

Tall plant, very productive, I grew several 4' datils in 2013. Each plant pumped out over 1000 pods about the size of your pointer finger. Unique flavor, an awesome all around American heirloom.

Chili head must tries:

Homemade datil relish
datil-do-it hot sauce
Datil flakes

Back