• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help me figure these twisted distorted leave problem Please

Hello all THP people,

As of the last week to 1 &1/2 weeks I noticed a bunch of my plants getting this on the growing tips of my pepper stems.  The photo below is from a Carolina Reaper but other varieties have this too.  I looked very close up and do not see any mites or webs or other "bugs"  It lately has been getting very hot and humid here in Pennsylvania.  I used lime, bone meal, azomite & Tomato tone at transplant time in early June.  I then started out with a transplanting fertilizer liquid.  I then used Monty's grow fertilizer.  I am now ready to switch to the Monty's Bud & Bloom fertilizer and will be adding a Cal Mag fertilizer with (1 teaspoon of Epsom Salts per gallon of water) this weekend.

Thanks Alot!!!

PS, I hope I uploaded this photo properly and didn't follow the correct procedure. 

[img]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a6ab9d3f32&view=fimg&th=14ed9b1d0fda196f&attid=0.0&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-gWunv4ExRbpofVb0d8kwEpdxo5s1mDW3fdJtPIH51j5e1dB3EN8w7cocbdLSry2h6-1ebj4STQgUVAhe8Ho87Qbmg_UtwdcgzToNrEB7a3BWAW0Bqa5SkZkA&ats=1438175102044&rm=14ed9b1d0fda196f&zw&sz=w1416-h655[/img]

[URL="https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a6ab9d3f32&view=fimg&th=14ed9b1d0fda196f&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-uhUUrjiv62jkQmAbAtN37ir6kex8uCqphJ69WF7CzRLjN7qKVLQ68ds1-8WPDh8PYlXZDdR3-uO96UuPPH3J5ozYhcMYjBWy8cOC0za7C_4T00rwho0jsR5Y&ats=1438175102045&rm=14ed9b1d0fda196f&zw&sz=w1416-h655%5Bimg%5D"]https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=a6ab9d3f32&view=fimg&th=14ed9b1d0fda196f&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&attbid=ANGjdJ-uhUUrjiv62jkQmAbAtN37ir6kex8uCqphJ69WF7CzRLjN7qKVLQ68ds1-8WPDh8PYlXZDdR3-uO96UuPPH3J5ozYhcMYjBWy8cOC0za7C_4T00rwho0jsR5Y&ats=1438175102045&rm=14ed9b1d0fda196f&zw&sz=w1416-h655[/URL][img]

Damn I can't get the second image to work.

Trying this, Thank you sirex & Chilima.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/4Z8a4IS.jpg

xzAq6H7.jpg

Well from my personal experience, thats what my leaves looked like when I had broad mites.

You say you dont see the mites-and thats how they be!!!

If you get a jewelers loupe (60x) you will be able to see mites. Not with the naked eye-usually.

Mot saying thats what you have. But thats what I had and they looked like that.

sirex said:
Well from my personal experience, thats what my leaves looked like when I had broad mites.

You say you dont see the mites-and thats how they be!!!

If you get a jewelers loupe (60x) you will be able to see mites. Not with the naked eye-usually.

Mot saying thats what you have. But thats what I had and they looked like that.
Sirex, thanks.  How did you get rid of yours?

Oh man. Let's see... I bought some miticide that had sulfur as the main ingredient (Natria)and I switched metween that and some abamectin that wicked mike sent me.

Thing with mites is, they will get resistant if you use the same thing too much and you'll end up with a supermite that will just fu#$ everything up!!!

Some people duo their plants in water above a certain temps and leave them submerged for 15 min. That will kill the mite but I dont have room for that.

Leaf curl is a bugger for me to diagnose. I get it on some of my plants, but most are fine. Typical causes include:

1. Mite damage
2. Heat stress
3. Over fertilizing
4. Under fertilizing (calcium deficiency)
5. Virus
6. Herbicide damage (2,4-D) - even from neighborhood drift.

Best you can do is look for these and do your best. Good luck!

hottoddy said:
Leaf curl is a bugger for me to diagnose. I get it on some of my plants, but most are fine. Typical causes include:

1. Mite damage
2. Heat stress
3. Over fertilizing
4. Under fertilizing (calcium deficiency)
5. Virus
6. Herbicide damage (2,4-D) - even from neighborhood drift.

Best you can do is look for these and do your best. Good luck!
Thank you!!

Your plants look SOMEWHAT like mine did when I had tomatoe russet mites last year on all my pepper plants .I 100% thought I had a virus and it was past on to all my plants. I never saw a mite with my 12x loupe. I sent 3 plant specimens to the pathology of ucdavis for free diagnosis for all.
My plant symptoms distorted, mottling, canoeing of leaves, with a constant shedding of foliage, plants wood end up looking bronze in color. I gave asprin to the plants which helped some look perfect for about 2-3 days then boom again all symptoms repeated right after. Your plants don't look exactly like mine. I hope you don't got them, the russet is the far worst of all mite species.

My cure which was suggested by the pathologist, sulfur dust. I left 2 plants in ground to over winter and that any mites would migrate if alive to those plants. I used bonide sulfur 4lb bag. I purchased 3 of those bags used 2.25 total bags. The applicator I used was the Dustin mizer. It's a beast. 3 cranks with the mizer would make a thick cloud 25 feet long by 5 feet and grow. My grass and those 2 plants were yellow like snow. No resistance given to the mites. I dusted every week then every 3, even both neighbors were the clouds would reach. This year all my plants have no symptoms of mites or the symptoms. I also purchased a 150x pocket microscope ans slides off amazon for 15.00. It works excellent.

If your within the states, email hung at ucdavis and send a portion to him for diagnosis.
Like mentioned earlier by other members it also could be from over fertilization or herbicide drift that causes leaf curl damage. Keep us updated!

Back