• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Paul Robeson mater

Anyone grow this variety this year and what did you think of it? My buddy grows 50 different plants and says this is his favorite. I was thinking about next years list already.

I did, it was second one to die unfortunately. Have to try again next year and hope to not get 20" of rain in 40 days. I have heard many others also say its one of their favorites.

I've got one Robeson going this year. Grew one last year for the first time. Usually grow 5 or 6 different types of heirloom each year. Was my first experience with a purple/black tomato. It was pretty good. One of the better tasting tomatoes. Probably my second favorite. I grew Druzba for the first time last year and so far it's my #1 fav.

Scorched.... Thanks for the input and the suggestion
JHP....I have not tried the black krim yet but I have a few growing but they are still pretty green due to tons of rain. Hopefully soon we has a few really hot few days of late.

My Black Krims were excellent this year. The other good purple/black tomato I grow is Cherokee Purple. I haven't grown Paul Robeson yet. Would anyone like to trade Robeson seeds for Krim or Cherokee?

This will be my #1  project for next year. The Fiaschetto di Manduria'was  x 'Cherokee Chocolate' F2 Hybrid I received these from a member on the tomato site and this was his first successful cross.

I'm growing them this year. Just pulled a few of the first ripe ones off of the plant the other day. Haven't tried them yet though. My wife took a few to work and liked them quite a bit.

here is 1 of my paul robeson, i have 3 plants. they have been on my grow list for a few years, so i took the plunge and purchased some seed(i used greta's organic gardens, a canadian seed company).  the fruit is larger than a golf ball but smaller than a hardball, still a few more weeks before maturity but very healthy plant stock.

the 2nd pic is of my tomato patch. the left side of the picture(left of the garage door) has the first raised bed that contains 2 rows of tomtoes then a container row. the right side of the door is a raised bed containing 5 plants. the fruit picture plant is on the left side, behind the small brown container, back row. the patch is made up of paul robeson, cherokee purple, black krim, black trifele, striped german, chocolate stripe, isis candy, pink brandywine, caspian pink, costoluto genovese, black zebra, black zebra cherry, gardeners delight and the only hybrid are 3 sungold plants.

i have had cherokee purple and black krim before(which is why they are on my grow list) and both produce early/mid season. the black zebra came from a package of green zebra seed and 1 plant turned out black but unfortunately last year we were hit by a snow storm and freezing weather in mid september killing off many plants and destroying most fruit so i didn't get to compare. can't wait for the pink brandywine and caspian pink to ripen, then i will know for myself, which is the superior fruit.

a fyi, the plant in the container on the right side of the garage door contains 2 aunt molly ground cherry.

enjoy.

thanks Jackson.
I start the plants from seed in the house in mid March. June 1st i can put them outside in the ground but starting in May they go into the greenhouse but only during the day.
the white pail directly in front of the garage door is a constant running compost tea: comfrey, worm and sheep poo and molasses with 2 airstones.
strategically buried in the ground amongst the plants are 1 litre plastic bottles with holes, i deep feed the roots with this method. they are also feed tomato fert 18-18-21.
also of importance, which i am going to expand on next year is the screening, stapled just below the garage roof. this is for day shading as the plants are directly facing south. but if needed, the wood strapping allows me to staple cheap painter plastic creating a greenhouse effect - i am 1 hour from the rocky mountains and it can get cold even in June.

hope this helps you with next year grow.

Back